Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 27-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Watermelon
Adult

Default Advice please

Right my dad and I are going to build an outdoor little shed box for rosie and jim but I have some questions.

Jim... seems to be quite a randy fellow. If he was going to impregnate Rosie in the future would she be able to lay eggs? She has a bit of flat shell...

Second of all... if she can lay eggs... does the shed box outside need to be quite deep length wise so about a foot of soil for egg laying.... Sorry dont know if this is right but this is what ive seen with other outdoor enclosures.

Its just really so my dad isnt building boxes all the time for different times of the year etc, we just want to build one box for all purposes.
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Watermelon
Adult

Here is a link to Rosie and Jim...

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=53084

I hope they can be a couple together as they have been together all of their lives apparently... but on the other hand is she a suitable candidate because of her flat shell?

Jim is 15.5cm long... Rosie is 14.5cm long. Ross says jim is old enough to be a dad but Rosie is a little too small yet to be a mum.

Please dont anyone think I just rehomed them to make babies tortoises, its just because they have been together so long and I dont want to split them up.

Thanks xx
Old 30-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Watermelon
Adult

BUMP.... Anyone?
Old 30-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
TBH123
Hatched

I believe 8-12 inches of substrate is appropriate for laying

If you think Rosie is too flat to lay eggs, then personally i would seperate the pair now before Jim gets very randy with her and stress her out, especially with her being to small for breeding at the minute anyway. Also if you were to seperate now, you would be less likely to have to worry about her laying once she reaches 6 inches scl.

Overall it is your choice if u want to breed or not, but if you think she'll have trouble laying, then seperate them before she gets to egg laying size so u dont have worry

Hope this helps x
Old 01-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Her shell isn't to flat for laying Soph. The only thing to really be worried about is her calcium level and getting it up as she is probably low. Also the other thing would be the opening between the end of the plastron and the end of the carapace, as long as thats big enough for an egg to pass she should be all set. She's not that far away from 6 inches SCL, so she could be laying next year. A soil depth of 12 inches will be great for laying

Danny
Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
Watermelon
Adult

Thank you for replies, thats great danny thanks. I'll let my dad know for the shed! Taking them for a check up at holly house vets this week too. Hopefully he will say the same thing x
Old 01-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

I would make the shed so that they can be kept separate if needed, its not fair on the female if the male becomes to attentive, my Sid would even try to mate during the night if allowed to stay with Tootsie. Also are they both chipped and papered and in your name, without this you can't get papers for the hatchlings or sell them.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Watermelon
Adult

I know ann... They have papers but il update them and get them microchipped next year.