Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 19-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #11
chris_walton
Sub Adult

who cried apart from me i found it extremly upsetting at the total ignorance of some of these people

chris_walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #12
wilsonathome
Hatchling

awww i missed it i had visitors they just gone
wilsonathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
TortMad
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_walton View Post
who cried apart from me i found it extremly upsetting at the total ignorance of some of these people
No I didn't cry but I am very worked up now. How can some people be so blind and ignorant.

:e vil:

2.1.0 testudo horsfeldii
0.2.0 testudo graeca ibera
2.0.0 geochelone pardalis babcocki

http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/
TortMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 11:32 PM   #14
Lisa McIntyre
Incubating

It certainly was quite shocking wasnt it, put breeding and showing in a very bad light. I was shocked particularly about the cavaliers. My nan has always had cavaliers and they have always lived to a ripe old age with no problems, she was obviously lucky. There are certain breeds that you associate with problems (even tho you know that all pedigrees have their problems) and most of those were featured but the cavalier stuff shocked me.

Lisa
Lisa McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #15
Sylvia1
Adult

I feel the need to ask my OH to take some pics of my GSD's. I will post them soon - if only to clear my conscience.... There are many healthy representations of the various breeds recognised by the Kennel Club. It's the deviations bred to produce income at whatever cost I find hard to stomach.

3 hermanns, 2 leopards, 2 german shepherds, 5 cats, 3 tropical tanks
Sylvia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #16
lizzy k
Incubating

Lisa your nan is lucky. I love cavaliers and I'm on my third. I lost my first to cancer at 11, the second to a heart murmur at 8, and now Dylan who at approx 8 yrs has a heart murmur and respiratory disease. At the mo he manages well thanks to medication, but I have been here before and know what will probably happen -and totally dread it. He was brought into my local RSPCA at a year old to be PTS (something that should have been done to the then owner!!). The reasons were pathetic and after lots of encouragement he was signed over. Being on the Committee (sorry if this offends but someone has to do it) I nabbed him. I believe he's from a puppy farm so I did expect to get probs. Even so I took the chance and don't regret it. He's the daftest dog in the world and I love him to bits. He also snores for England which drives my OH insane!!. In this day and age I would never have a Cavalier without insurance!.
Old 20-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #17
Lisa McIntyre
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy k View Post
Lisa your nan is lucky. I love cavaliers and I'm on my third. I lost my first to cancer at 11, the second to a heart murmur at 8, and now Dylan who at approx 8 yrs has a heart murmur and respiratory disease. At the mo he manages well thanks to medication, but I have been here before and know what will probably happen -and totally dread it. He was brought into my local RSPCA at a year old to be PTS (something that should have been done to the then owner!!). The reasons were pathetic and after lots of encouragement he was signed over. Being on the Committee (sorry if this offends but someone has to do it) I nabbed him. I believe he's from a puppy farm so I did expect to get probs. Even so I took the chance and don't regret it. He's the daftest dog in the world and I love him to bits. He also snores for England which drives my OH insane!!. In this day and age I would never have a Cavalier without insurance!.
Hi Liz

I dont think I would have any dog in this day and age without insurance. I currently have a St Bernard but my last dog was a boxer with all the usual cancer problems. He was our baby but thank god for insurance<g> My brother currently has two boxers, both of which have had tumours removed. My neighbour is heavily involved in boxer rescue but has just lost their own 6th boxer to cancer. Dog insurance is essential these days I believe.

Bet your cavalier doesnt snore as bad as my Saint <vbg>

Lisa
Old 20-08-2008, 12:06 AM   #18
swad1000
Adult

After seeing that and the ignorance of a lot of breeders, I was glad to know that the Newfoundland club has several genetic testing schemes in place for various problems with the breed. While they can't force you to have them carried out it does seem to be followed mostly.

But I must agree its about time the kennel club made these type of test mandatory before then offspring can be registered.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 12:41 AM   #19
lizzy k
Incubating

Hi Lisa I agree about insurance, but a lot of people still don't have it. I guess it's down to personal choice/finance. Two colleagues today were saying that they had coincidently found lumps on their dogs (one is a boxer) and neither are insured. I have seen people agonise over the cost of their pets treatment at an animal clinic and I would hate to have to do this. I would rather go without something and pay the insurance.

Please can I borrow your St B as that would really p**s the OH off. It might encourage him to go!!. The dogs win hands (or paws) down over him any day. They are much better company.
Old 20-08-2008, 12:45 AM   #20
Lisa McIntyre
Incubating

Please can I borrow your St B as that would really p**s the OH off. It might encourage him to go!!. The dogs win hands (or paws) down over him any day. They are much better company. [/QUOTE]

Hi Liz

You can borrow him<g> I have to say tho, apart from the snoring (which still probably isnt as bad as my husband), all you have to put up with is slobber. Apart from that, he is an aboslute "saint"<vbg> Honestly, I couldnt ask for an easier dog. If you OH has a chisel to get the slobber off the ceiling, I dont reckon he will push him out<g>

Lisa