Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 09-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
ElHein
Egg

Send a message via Skype™ to ElHein
Default Hello, everyone. Got a whole list of questions for you!

Hello, everyone. I've had my tortoises for two years now, although they are three! So I've got some questions I've been saving up. I really want to be a good owner, but I am really uncertain about some things...

Testudo hermanni boettgeri.

First of all:
Diet.
My tortoises live on primarily Brassica rapa ssp. (Chineese cabbage) and ruccula in the winter. I've also given them some rapido from time-to-time and some pellets. They love their pellets, especially the red ones. As for their weekly "candy", I give them some good tomatoes. They seem to really love them too. I enjoy giving them the cherry tomatoes, as they roll away when they try biting them. Bit of exercise for them. They actually work together sometimes in order to keep them from rolling. What I'm wondering is; is this winter-diet good enough? In my cold corner of the world (Norway), getting clovers etc. is pretty hard. They also eat their substrate from time-to-time. ( I use chipped wood. It keeps the humidity, and they can eat it. It also absorbs their urine pretty well.)

Substrate and light:
I use chipped wood, as I specified above. I keep one area with sand, another with wood-pellets and the rest with chips. I keep a spray-bottle of water and I shower some of the substrate and my tortoises every day with it. Just a bit to keep the humidity up. As for lighting I use this lamp here:

http://terrariehobby.no/Default.aspx...ProductID=5269

I was told that I would only need this one, but it seems it only radiates UVB... Anyone have any input on this? I trust the salesman, but I want to make sure.

When it comes to hibernation, I still have not hibernated my tortoises. I was told by the seller that he did it usually after four years. Said it could be dangerous for them if I did it anytime before that. I haven't seen them having any problems with it. If only they could speak... Then again, it's not too late to hibernate them, I guess.

In the summer, I have them outside in a box me and my father built a year ago. They seem to enjoy it, as the grass grows fast and there are spiders that they sometimes eat. But I take them in during the nights, so that they won't be cold.

All-in-all I hope for some input. I really, really want them to be happy and good.
ElHein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi there and welcome to the forum

Firstly, it may be an idea to have a look at the diet section of the forum. I'm afraid to say that what you have been feeding your torts on isn't the best diet, although i'm not sure what ruccula and rapido is, brassicas are high in oxylates and not too good for torty.

If weeds are scarce then mixed bagged salad can be fed, some feed pellets especially to suppliment over the harsh months of winter.

As a substrate I prefer to use a mix of sand and soil, 30% sand mixed well with 70% soil. You say you use chipped wood, ummm I'm not sure exactly what you are using but it doesn't sound like it's a good idea for torty to be eating it. Too much sand can cause impaction.

I've not used the lamp in your link so wouldn't be able to comment. What temperatures are you getting under the lamp?

Torts can hibernate from a very young age, but it is up to you whether you feel confident enough to do it. It is always a cause of great debate, so again, lots of research so you can make an informed decision.

It's excellent that you get your torts outside in the summer, i truely believe that torts should be able to go outside whenever possible.

So sorry if this posts sounds a bit negative, I genuinely want the best for your tortoises too...please, any further questions then please please ask
Old 09-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

I agree with Bindi on the housing, the lamp is the external ballast mercury vapour and should be ok for uv and heat. If realy strugling for a good basking spot of 32c a second normal 70w or 100w spot bulb can be added, this is a nornal house lamp bulb, for heat only. Pellet's fed with green leafy veg is commonly fed in some countries, like USA.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

Babble - work in progress as I can't babble on the iPhone. I'll be back.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
gregnobes
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
Babble - work in progress as I can't babble on the iPhone. I'll be back.
lol rach :P i had an image of u out shopping seeing this post and running home :P
gregnobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Ruccula look's like what we call Rocket, normal Cabbage(Kal) can substitute Chineese Cabbage, Butternut Squash (Cucurbita moschata) is also used in winter feed.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:16 AM   #7
ElHein
Egg

Send a message via Skype™ to ElHein

Hello, y'all! Thank you all for the answers and valuable input I will get right on fixing these ineffective issues right after the weekend! And buy a mixed salad today. And I'll definately check out the diet-section of the forum. Normally, I would be able to grow these things myself, but without seeds or anything of the sort, I'm at a loss. Customs have banned all traffic that includes shipping and recieving seeds and plants, so growing weeds might be difficult. But it's worth going to the local greenery and see what I can get there! I first started using the woodchips because the breeder told me that he had used them for his babies for over 50 years. Turns out it was because the chips absorbed a lot of the water, but still kept bacteria from growing. But the soil would allow them to have their claws filed down and be more like their natural habitat, so I'll definately switch to sand/soil after the weekend! Thank you all!
ElHein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
yuna1971
Adult

Yes, go with topsoil/sand or just topsoil. I am sure you wouldnt want to take the risk of a tort ingesting a piece of chipped wood, scratching or damaging his legs or feet, or even possibly a fire risk with it being around heat all day.
Do think of these things, in case you are still thinking the pet shop knows best.
Good luck. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diet, hermanni, hibernating, lighting, substrate