Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 21-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Gimble
Egg

Default Baby Gimble Update

The vet has agreed to me sending a fresh faecal sample for testing, the problem now is Gimble is hardly eating a thing., which neans nothing going in so nothing coming out. Hes very active for most of the morning, lights go on at 7.30 (off at 7.30pm) but by lunch time he's buried himself , sometimes totally. This means that for his afternoon baths I need to dig him out, brush him off and bath him. After the bath which produces small amounts of urates but thats it, he walks around a bit and then goes back to bed under the substrate. He sniffs at his foodstuffs but nothing on earth will get him to take a tiny taste. Reptiboost and Critical care are waiting to be delivered. I am so desperate for him to just taste something- anything that a friend has suggested I buy Komodo banana pellets just to get him over this tricky period. To be honest if he ate anything at all be it the right stuff or not I would be over the moon.Does this sound like a dying baby to you?
Jan
Gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
clairestortoise
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to clairestortoise

Ohh Jan Don't give up, you are doing your very best for him..Thats all you can do...Keep us posted on his progress..Keeping everything crossed for him and you!! x

9 Cats, Wallace 15, Blackie 10, Scooby&Phoebe(Bro&Sis) 9, Gucci 6, Snuggles 5 and Oliver 3 and Blossom and Billy 10 months old

Tye 9 Yr old Yorkie

2 children

1 Husband

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...e&id=523711412

clairestortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

Keep posting us on his progress. Just try and believe Gimble will be OK, thinking of you.
Old 21-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I've used T Rex tortoise pellets to get a poorly tort to eat with great success. I was getting desperate as he wouldn't touch anything else. I soaked them first so they swelled up, and had to hand feed him at first but after a few days there ws no stopping him.
Old 21-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Gem
Incubating

if he is eating very little have you at least tried using reptoboost in his water, it might help him.
Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
lisa-shell
Incubating

Smile

come on gimble we are all wishing you better, keep fighting it up pull through xxxxxxxxxx and jan be strong he needs u more than ever now take care lisa
lisa-shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
helen1
Sub Adult

I agree with Bindi..pellets have helped me in difficult cases...not any longer though. Once some nutrition is going in there will be no stopping him/her.

Just a thought...has his/her mouth been checked...it can prevent eating if the mouth is sore. It should be nice and pink and even coloured.
Old 22-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
lisa-shell
Incubating

any new on gimble x
lisa-shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 04:02 AM   #9
Gimble
Egg

Hi All, I have to take a faecal sample to my local vet who will personally take it to a lab for me, even though they aren't exotic vets they really want to help the wee man.He has actually eaten,not much but about 6 of the very soggy pellets,radicchio and 2 tiny dandelions.I have bought a brand new UV 10% and today I saw a real breakthrough, he went to ground as usual and I thought, well thats it then untill I dig him up for afternoon bath BUT after an hour he got up and for the 1st time ever gimbled along and sat in his water bowl!!. So tomorrow its a bath for him- hopefully he'll perform for me and I have to rush to the vets like a demented woman clutching a sample of torty poo. I admit to actually sitting there in tears watching him sniff his foods and just walk away and go back to bed, its as if he's missing something, maybe his diet before I got him here was very very different, I just dont know.Hopefully its just worms, I know that sounds terrible but what I mean is , if its just heavy worm infestation then that can be treated and eventually he will be well,if not then the alternatives are too painful to even think about.Was expecting to have photos of him today but OH has a stinker of a cold-Man Flu, so didnt want him breathing all over Gimble. My vet says she'll ask the lab to ring her with the results and she'll ring me so I could even have the answer by tomorrow night. I'll keep you posted as I need to know if theres anything I should be doing if it is worms- such as taking out substrate etc. Thanks for your concern, beleive me whatever this teeny lad needs he will get it. I think he's had a pretty grotty start to life to be honest and I am determined to make up for it, hopefully I can undo any wrongs he's suffered during his time from Slovenia to the dealer and then to me- poor little mite.
Love Jan
PS Helen, the vet did check his mouth for any signs of injury or disease and found nothing, it is a good colour inside and the outer shows no damage.
Gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

I am so pleased he has eaten something for you. I have been in your situation and know exactly how you are feeling. You are doing a brilliant job, and now hopefully after tasting a bit of food he will carry on eating for you. xxx
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, sadness