Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 14-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
Stephers_84
Egg

Default Hibernating my Horsefield Tortoise

Hi

I have a roughly 3 1/2 year old tortoise named George, I got him (or her) back in March and as far as I'm aware, he hasnt been hibernated yet.

I'm not sure if he's still too small, he only weighs in at 52g at the minute, he's steadily been gaining around 2-3g each month.

Can anyone give advice on whether he should be hibernated, and where to find the best information on what to do etc?

I'm scared that I do something wrong and I know that can be very dangerous for George.

Thanks

Steph
Stephers_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

welcome Steph. George may be a little on the small side for his age, 52grammes? maybe just confirm that. It is more of a question of can he hibernate and of course in the wild they can and do dependent on climate etc. There is a guide called the Jackson Ratio which is a weight-check graph ,but though isn't ideally used for Horsfields (they are rounder)it can give you an indicator to make a personal choice and or guide you as to whether ok to hibernate . If you place George on a tape measure against a wall so his head is up against the wall (inside his shell) and mark the spot below where he 'ends' it will give you millimetres. The Jackson Ratio then gives you a guide for weight length ratio dangerously low to hibernate advice...so for instance if 90 mm and weighs 100grammes the advice is probably safer not to. (there are debates around natural hibernation in the wild does happen at these weights/lengths). Based on the fact George is only 52 grammes personally I would overwinter him. cb
Old 15-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
alley cat
Adult

This may help you
http://www.totallytortoise.co.uk/gui...cintyre-ratio/
And this to ensure you measure correctly
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=6550
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

It's a personal choice and not an easy one for most of us. One way of looking at it might be that tortoise keeping is still fairly new for you and you might want to have more time to observe etc.

My personal opinion is that nobody here would be able to give you a guarantee that hibernating your tortoise will be fine and without any risk. Is there a downside for the tortoise to keeping them awake? This is where you will get a wide variety of opinions.
Old 15-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Kighill
Incubating

I have read either on here or another site that is not advised to hibernate a tortoise if you are not fully aware of its previous circumstances. Particular attention should be made towards ensuring the stomach is fully empty before hibernation and the tortoise is fully prepared for hibernation.
Kighill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kighill View Post
I have read either on here or another site that is not advised to hibernate a tortoise if you are not fully aware of its previous circumstances. Particular attention should be made towards ensuring the stomach is fully empty before hibernation and the tortoise is fully prepared for hibernation.
This is sensible without a history but there are exceptions and circumstances also. Some of mine were emergency rescues without a shred of background and there is a time when I felt it was what was best, based on experience and facts to hand. Others I have adopted have never hibernated, but I hibernate everyone of them and advise former owners that is what I will be doing. Even after all my years of tortoise keeping I am nervous around it - mine hibernate naturally, (Except Elenor & Franklyn Spur this year), but there is still a deep seated nervousness that they haven't purged or they've overfed or the weathers turned too quick for them, too wet, too damp, too cold, not cold enough, spring too early, too late.....I sound like i'm paranoid now !! cb
Old 15-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #7
vikki
Hatched

I am a relative newbie and have decided not to hibernate this year. I got Herbie in January and initially he had quite alot of problems but has picked up now and weighs nearly 60grams. Daisy i got in June and she had a very heavy worm burden which has now been sorted but with these factors and my lack of experience i have decided to overwinter both of them. They are both inside now and showing no signs of wanting to hibernate yet - Herbie is probably more active than ever and eating like a horse so hope to get through it without any problems
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 10:38 PM   #8
Stephers_84
Egg

Thanks everyone, I'll keep an eye on him the next few weeks and see if he's not showing signs of wanting to hibernate then maybe best not to this year and overwinter instead!

Thanks for all the advice!
Stephers_84 is offline   Reply With Quote