Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 26-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Dexieii
Egg

Default Splat's Story

I laid Splat to rest 2 weeks ago. Splat was only 8 years old but he should, by rights, have outlived me.

Splat was a Hermann's tortoise and he had been with me only 3 short months. I don't know what his original name was, I'm not sure he had one.

His previous owners hadn't cared enough to learn what his needs were when they bought him on a whim as a tiny hatchling. He spent the next 8 years in a tiny vivarium on wood shavings, without UV, heat, the correct diet, calcium or supplements, and without any access to a sunny garden.

At 4 years old another tortoise joined him in the same abysmal conditions until they were sold on when their owner was tired of them, to another inexperienced owner who at least realised they were in a dreadful condition and tried to improve their living conditions, 4 months later and these tortoises were brought to my attention. As soon as I saw them I knew they were suffering from metabolic bone disease. They were severely underweight with deformed, flattened, soft shells, muscle wastage and malformed jaws but I couldn't leave them there so I brought them home, quarantined them from my other tortoises, and my son named them Patsy & Splat.

I am lucky enough to be registered with Mark Rowland of Trinity Vets and he saw Patsy & Splat immediately and was fantastic. Patsy responded immediately and continues to do well but it will still be a while before she is completely out of the woods, but her prognosis is very good. Poor Splat, despite showing great spirit, failed to respond as well as Patsy, he was losing weight and still passing the wood shavings he had been eating in his previous home in his desperate attempts to find much needed calcium. As a last resort Splat was fitted with a feeding tube to try to build his strength up by force feeding, but he was uncomfortable and his body rejected the food so he was hospitalised once again and the tube was removed..

He passed away in his sleep at the vets on Good Friday night. He had only ever spent one short afternoon in the sunshine.

If Splat's story can stop even one tortoise being bought on a whim, or kept in such inhumane conditions then his life hasn't been in vain.

Sleep tight Splat, you were in my life for such a short time but you will never be forgotten.

I would like to say a huge thank you to Mark and his staff at Trinity Vets for their care, concern and support over the last few months.

www.cinqueportsrescue.co.uk

Last edited by Dexieii; 26-04-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Dexieii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Watermelon
Adult

Aw thats such a sad story Poor Splat, if only he had been brought to you sooner. May he rest in peace. Keep us updated on Patsy please.
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
suttysue
Sub Adult

SO SO SAD lets hope that as you say his story helps other torts. Bless you for caring for him on his last journey.
It realy makes me cross when people buy any pet on a whim & without research as to thiere needs and requirements.
As said before please let us know how Patsy gets on. I real realy hope she continues to improve & I'm sure she will in your care.
GUD LUK
Sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

Thank you for sharing Splat's story. It's very sad that he and Patsy suffered so dreadfully. Splat received the very best love and attention for the last few months of his life and it's thanks to you he did so.
Hoping that Patsy continues to grow in strength.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
knottyedge
Hatchling

poor fella,hopefully patsy will keep going from strength to strength tho
knottyedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
natstorts
Juvenile

Poor Splat. People buying animals like this on a whim annoy me so much Could you keep us updated on Patsy?

1.0.1 THBs(Freddie and Flo)
0.0.1 Leopard(Otis)
1.1.0 Dogs (Zac + Meg)
2.0.0 Cats (Oli + Billy)
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Draz)
1.0.0 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Ralph)
2.0.0 Gerbils (Patch + Digger)
natstorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Easter Bunny
Adult

Aww, what a sad life Splat and Patsy had before you got them
Glad to hear Patsy is making a good recovery. RIP Splat.

I've just taken on one that has been kept in same conditions, the only difference is he had uv strip light, but everything else mimics the setup Patsy and Splat were kept in. Some people just go and buy these totoises without looking up on how to care for them, it's so sad

Keep us updated on Patsy please

Last edited by Easter Bunny; 26-04-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Very very sad. I really hope that Patsy goes from strength to strength under your care

RIP Splat
Old 26-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Watermelon
Adult

Hope you dont mind but I've emailed Splat's story to a few friends... also to some people who have been enquiring about getting a tortoise.... just to increase awareness!
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
Easter Bunny
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelon View Post
Hope you dont mind but I've emailed Splat's story to a few friends... also to some people who have been enquiring about getting a tortoise.... just to increase awareness!
I think thats a really good idea.

I know a few people that want tortoises but I'm not really sure they know how to care for them properly.

My ex hairdresser used to have a tortoise (ages ago before I knew anything about them) and she kept it in a childs plastic toy box, with the lid on and air holes in the top. Didn't have uv, heat, calcium, substrates, supplements. She fed it mainly tomatoes with a bit of lettuce. When I asked about it one day she said that it had died, she said it 'sort of exploded' That poor tortoise must have really suffered quite badly