Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
burnt toast
Adult

Lovely pictres, looks as if Patsy is getting on very well.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
Watermelon
Adult

Its nice to see her happy. She is clearly loving life in her new home!
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #23
EJ
Adult

The thing is that the tortoises lived to that extent under those conditions. There is such a thing as doing too much 'good' too quickly... I've done it.

Those tortoises did not look to be in too bad a shape to begin with.

One other note... that feeding tube looks massive!!!!!!

Live and learn. The outcome could have been different with a different course of action.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #24
Catwoman63
Adult

Ah what a lovely site to see shes getting better, xxx

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #25
Easter Bunny
Adult

Great to see her doing well xx
Old 01-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #26
Dexieii
Egg

EJ, the feeding tube photo is a matter of perspective, the angle gives an incorrect perception. I was expecting a comment about that and I very nearly didn't post it for that reason.

I also agree and know that there is a thing as 'too much, too quickly', however you did not see for yourself the absolute state these two, and particularly the male, was in. Personally I resent your comment about a different outcome with a different course of action. I know I did the best for this tortoise and, despite the expense and heartbreak, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

www.cinqueportsrescue.co.uk

Last edited by Dexieii; 01-05-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Dexieii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #27
EJ
Adult

Sorry you feel that way. I do hope you take my comment to heart. I only made the comment because I've made the same mistake on more than one occasion.

You didn't do the best you could because one of them died. You might have made a mistake. The purpose of my post was to point out to look at what you could have done differently to produce a better outcome. My comment is also not directed at you but to all those who read this open forum.

It's amazing how many are willing to say 'I did the best I could and the animal was destined to die because of previous conditions'. That is the end of it. I think that is wrong. I'd like to get the point across as to how the keeper could have done something differently to produce a better outcome. A failure should be a learning experience.

I hope you would reflect on what you did and look at how you might have done something different. The tortoise might have been destined to die but you have to ask... why it happened in such a short period and only in your care.

Don't read this as a judgement. You can maybe read this as a self reflection on my part that I'm just passing along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexieii View Post
EJ, the feeding tube photo is a matter of perspective, the angle gives an incorrect perception. I was expecting a comment about that and I very nearly didn't post it for that reason.

I also agree and know that there is a thing as 'too much, too quickly', however you did not see for yourself the absolute state these two, and particularly the male, was in. Personally I resent your comment about a different outcome with a different course of action. I know I did the best for this tortoise and, despite the expense and heartbreak, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
and
Old 01-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #28
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Sorry you feel that way. I do hope you take my comment to heart. I only made the comment because I've made the same mistake on more than one occasion.

You didn't do the best you could because one of them died. You might have made a mistake. The purpose of my post was to point out to look at what you could have done differently to produce a better outcome. My comment is also not directed at you but to all those who read this open forum.

It's amazing how many are willing to say 'I did the best I could and the animal was destined to die because of previous conditions'. That is the end of it. I think that is wrong. I'd like to get the point across as to how the keeper could have done something differently to produce a better outcome. A failure should be a learning experience.

I hope you would reflect on what you did and look at how you might have done something different. The tortoise might have been destined to die but you have to ask... why it happened in such a short period and only in your care.

Don't read this as a judgement. You can maybe read this as a self reflection on my part that I'm just passing along.
I normally try to refrain from responding to your posts these days EJ but this one is so utterly stupid it needed reading twice to take in!!

Your comment that she "didnt do her best because one of them died" is just totally insulting and obviously not true. The tortoise had endured 8 years of inhumane conditions so how did it become her fault that it died? the blame lies soley with that previous owner who in my opinion should be prosecuted for the neglect of the animal.

I hope YOU will reflect on what an idiot you just made of yourself and maybe do things differently next time.

Dont read this as a judgement (although actually it is one)
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #29
EJ
Adult

8 years... in which it lived.

I didn't say it was the OPs fault. I said different actions could have had different results.

We are all human. We make decisions. My post was only to point out the consideration of a different decision in the future based on the outcome of this one.

Me?... when an animal dies in my care... regardless of it's previous history... I did something wrong. This is especially true when I take in a rehomer that was treated 'inhumanely' in the past and dies in my care.

This is the reason for my post. Too much change too quickly is not a good thing when rehabbing an animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
The tortoise had endured 8 years of inhumane conditions so how did it become her fault that it died? the blame lies soley with that previous owner who in my opinion should be prosecuted for the neglect of the animal.
and
Old 02-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #30
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
8 years... in which it lived
8 years.......in which it exhisted........there is a massive difference!

and you may not have said it was the OPs fault, but you most definitely implied itwhat else can "you didnt do the best you could because one of them died" mean?
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote