Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 28-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Pussygalore
Adult

Default Devon

Anyone live in Devon? we're camping near Oakhampton from the 3rd and wondered if anyone knows of a nice beach where dogs are welcome, if we get a nice day!. Many thanks
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

I'm in Devon. There aren't any beaches near Okehampton but you can nip into Cornwall for their beaches or visit Bude. Or you could go in the opposite direction and go towards Plymouth. Wembury beach is popular and has nice rock pools. If you don't mind the drive, North Devon has beautiful beaches. There's a nice reservoir near Okehampton plus Roadford Lake. I'm not sure if you can take dogs, but Okehampton Castle is worth a visit. It's owned by English Heritage and is in ruins but is so atmospheric. I could spend hours there.
Have a great holiday!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Torterra
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
Anyone live in Devon? we're camping near Oakhampton from the 3rd and wondered if anyone knows of a nice beach where dogs are welcome, if we get a nice day!. Many thanks
Have a great time! Unfortunately I dont know much about Devon beaches.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

many thanks its years since we've been down that way and don't mind a drive, the south coast is more sheltered but I know many beaches don't allow dogs in the summer.
Old 28-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Neddy
Sub Adult

http://www.thegooddogguide.com/devon...iendly-beaches

Heres a useful link t beaches. To be honest there are not many in Devon or Cornwall that allow dogs during the summer period.
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

The Ness beach in Shaldon does. At least there's always been dogs on the beach when we've been there in the summer. The beach has become more pebbley over the years as it suffers from erosion but its nice and sheltered and you walk through the old smugglers tunnel from the car park to get to it.
http://www.devonbeachguide.co.uk/eas.../ness/ness.htm

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
yuna1971
Adult

Make sure you have a proper Devon cream tea. I went to Watersmeet for this, near Lynton & Lynmouth. Yum xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Pussygalore
Adult

I've found what looks like a nice beach where dogs can go called South Milton beach,the other end of Thurleston beach, there's toilets and a beach shop which will do us fine, a few rock pools ect and plenty of parking. We're using the new to us trailer tent and the camp site is right on the edge of dartmoor, I saved the vouchers in the Sun so the site is costing us £1 per night for the pitch and £5 per night for electric hook up (optional), I wanted the cool box in case its warm. We could have just had the pitch, the vouchers seem really good value as they can be used for tents or caravans and you can't beat £1 a night. I'm not looking forward to putting up the tent as we've had one practise and it was blooming hard/hot work and took us a couple of hours I just hope its not raining when we have to do it. milo is comming and I picked up a portable run for him from freecycle, it comes in sections and he'll never jump out, its quite big when up and will be better than him having to be tied up when we're putting the tent, dogs have to be on leads all the time so I thought the run might enable him to sit outside without getting all tangled up, the bikes are comming as we're next to the Tarka and Granite cycle/walk trails, old railway lines, Milo sits in his basket.