Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 13-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Leanne2712
Egg

Default pellets (its all he will eat)

hiya,

crush will not eat anything but pellets, nothing at all, any tips?
will this affect him?

Please reply

Thanks in advance x
Leanne2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leannekatie2705 View Post
hiya,

crush will not eat anything but pellets, nothing at all, any tips?
will this affect him?

Please reply

Thanks in advance x
Hard one when they are hooked on one food. Some feed a pellet diet as part of a weekly feed, along plant's/fresh food's. A minute few as i know feed a pellet main diet still about two to three times a week with good meal's of pellet's. If you are concerned to add other food's the pellet's will have to be withdrawn for a while. Fresh plant's/weed's a little mixed salad bag's could be offered instead, small amount's every day till excepted, not sure how long for, but i would try a good fortnight myself. If your tort gives in decides to eat fresh, this could be offered for a good week before supplementing back to pellet.
What is your Tort's lengh plus weight.
Old 13-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Add, the Tort could get the run's if it feast on salad.
Old 13-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
JoesMum
Hatchling

Think fussy kids here. If your toddler was refusing to eat anything but sweets. You'd just withhold the sweets until they started eating properly. A few days without food will not harm your tort. It's called tough love and it does work! in the wild, they eat as they find things and may not eat for a few days then. It's quite OK.

Mine is aged 50 and goes through phases of food obsessions. He tried a Lamb's Lettuce only diet earlier this year and now completely ignores lamb's lettuce. The cherry season in June, when a neighbour's tree was dropping pounds of fruit in our garden, led to a red circle obsession and everything green was being ignored while he tried to eat red dots printed on a newspaper,

Torts don't rank high in the intelligence stakes, but that doesn't mean they won't try to eat only what they like.

I wouldn't get too concerned about the pellets. Some keepers only feed pellets. You could try mixing pellets with the green stuff, but personally I'd leave the pellets out complteely for a few days.
Old 13-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Leanne2712
Egg

ive tried it leaving it for like 3 days then i start getting worried, maybe im just a worrier, hes 300g and 10 cm sound right? i spent a whole day once with a weed book trying to find all the things he could eat, and well he wouldnt touch one
Old 13-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leannekatie2705 View Post
ive tried it leaving it for like 3 days then i start getting worried, maybe im just a worrier, hes 300g and 10 cm sound right? i spent a whole day once with a weed book trying to find all the things he could eat, and well he wouldnt touch one
I rehomed a Leopard about 7 years old and never ate anything i offered for month's. but did lose weight. Tough love is a way.
Old 13-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Leanne2712
Egg

maybe im not tough enough =( i just feel guilty when hes walking around trying to eat things probly because hes hungry, but then he still wont eat the food thats right infront of him! stuborn! he knows ill give in, in the end.
Old 13-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
shellonia
Sub Adult

You can get a dried weed powder to sprinkle over pellets if you go to www.tortoiseworld.co.uk.Mine love it and you will know he's getting a proper supplement
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Leanne2712
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellonia View Post
You can get a dried weed powder to sprinkle over pellets if you go to www.tortoiseworld.co.uk.Mine love it and you will know he's getting a proper supplement
would i use this aswell as nutrabol?
Old 24-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
shellonia
Sub Adult

Yes it is pure concentrated organic dried weeds, no calcium supplement in it.Could it be that you are sprinkling on too much nutrobal possibly-some torts avoid it in large amounts.The same website also sells a mixed calcium supplement which obviously tastes fine as I have no probs, but have had in the past with Nutrobal
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote