Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 27-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #11
Finsky
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
years of running round the house and conservatory, bathing in front of wood burner, them not me, but then again.. and not had one die of eating carpets yet. At least there are no seagulls either. CB
Funny you are mentioning about wood burner...
When I made run with sheets for Putin..and his round came on front of burner...he stopped for the break and wasn't in hurry anymore. It was like he was enjoying moment of warmth before dashing off again.
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #12
Finsky
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
But perhaps this is mainly a fun thing for the keeper.
It probably is...chance of having 'one to one' moment and seeing tortoise 'busy'. But there must be some enjoyment for them too.... Putin really started his current behaviour after been allowed good run. After I put him back into his table...it was almost like he didn't want to go back in and then the trashing really kicked in.

I wonder....do tortoises behaviour differ if they are court from wild and they've had experience of freedom compared to those that are bred and kept in captivity?? Is there any studies to that?
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Finsky - I'm all in favour of keepers getting enjoyment from their pets. It's one of the main reasons for having them. So long as the tortoise isn't harmed I don't have any problem with it.

On your other question I haven't seen any studies about how wild caught tortoises adapt to captivity. In my reckoning they are all still wild, but some are captive.
Old 27-02-2016, 01:55 PM   #14
Splinter
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
In my reckoning they are all still wild, but some are captive.
I doubt most captive torts would last 5 mins if released into "the wild".
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #15
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I doubt most captive torts would last 5 mins if released into "the wild".
I disagree, many escapees have been on the loose for months, even years until they've returned home. They're a lot tougher than many of us think. There have also been introductions in places like Sardinia that have been successful.

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #16
Splinter
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMaffz View Post
I disagree, many escapees have been on the loose for months, even years until they've returned home. They're a lot tougher than many of us think. There have also been introductions in places like Sardinia that have been successful.
By wild I mean actually in the wild, not lost locally.

There are a lot of storys of torts been found ofter long periods etc, but a good many are never found too, but that does not make for a good story.

You may be right, but I still believe the survival rate of captive torts, in the wild would be significantly lower than "normal" wild torts.
Old 27-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #17
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
By wild I mean actually in the wild, not lost locally.

There are a lot of storys of torts been found ofter long periods etc, but a good many are never found too, but that does not make for a good story.

You may be right, but I still believe the survival rate of captive torts, in the wild would be significantly lower than "normal" wild torts.
For what reasons? The captive environment is the alien one..The wild environment is what it has evolved for.

Last edited by JerryMaffz; 27-02-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 27-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #18
Splinter
Egg

Quote:
For what reasons? The captive environment is the alien one..The wild environment is what it has evolved for.
For very obvious reasons I'd have thought

Captive torts are rather pampered (feeding/drinking/bathing etc), far less self-defense, as they have become used to "predators" (us) picking them up etc.

Similar to how "urban foxes" don't usually last 5 mins when "released" back into the country.
Old 27-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #19
JerryMaffz
Incubating

A predator will pick up a tortoise, whether it's used to it or not..Let's face it, it isn't going to outrun it. A couple of generations of captivity is not going to override millions of years of evolution...'Pampering' has killed many captive tortoises. Tortoises are self sufficient from day one, foxes aren't.

Last edited by JerryMaffz; 27-02-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 27-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #20
Splinter
Egg

Quote:
A couple of generations of captivity is not going to override millions of years of evolution...
It does not even need to be a couple of generations, pretty much any wild animal can be dramatically changed in terms of behaviour etc, based on a number of factors, such as being kept in captivity.

This is why they rehabilitate former wild animals, that have been kept in captivity for a while, prior to release back into the wild. While this may be lesser in torts, I for one think for their best chance they would need some form of "rehabilitation" first.

Look how long it can take just to get a tort eating properly again and less fussy, after being fed just pellets or whatever.