Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 03-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #21
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Can't wait for a photo and to hear how she goes over the next few days
Old 03-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #22
suttysue
Sub Adult

If you get chance watch 'the Dog Whisperer' on telly he is amazing. My little dog had a huge problem come firework night & new years eve he got so nervous and yappy, I did what I though Cesar Milan (his name) would do it worked like magic, its all about taking the responcability of protection away from the dog ie you become leader.
Anyway good luck and very well done.
I am a strong believer in FATE! you lose your dog and along comes this little poppet. Mmmm
sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #23
nikkijw
Incubating

wow she sounds soo like our scrappy. he has seperation anxiety and when my lad went away when we 1st got him he actually ate his whole blanket when i was out. he used to bark a lot and before he saw the behaviourist he used to repeatedly run to each corner of the garden sniffing each in succession and if he missed one out he would start again from the beginning. it was so very disturbing to watch but the behaviourist was fantastic. he has come a long way.he has a lovely temperament but i have always wondered what happened in his previous life to give him so many problems
nikkijw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #24
Beverley
Adult

Well, she has ran that much from one side of the garden to the other that it's just a muck path lawn now !! If I go out and call her she does stop for a few mins, I can't keep her in all day as she wants out all the time. But she is content to stay in at night.
I bought her a few toys and treats today and she just ignored them, doesn't play with anything or eat treats that I think a dog would enjoy !! So you can't really use a treat as a positive reinforcement, so I just pet her and tell her what a good girl she is.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #25
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
Well, she has ran that much from one side of the garden to the other that it's just a muck path lawn now !! If I go out and call her she does stop for a few mins, I can't keep her in all day as she wants out all the time. But she is content to stay in at night.
I bought her a few toys and treats today and she just ignored them, doesn't play with anything or eat treats that I think a dog would enjoy !! So you can't really use a treat as a positive reinforcement, so I just pet her and tell her what a good girl she is.
Have you tried chicken or sausage cut small for a treat?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #26
Herpard
Adult

Thought you'd like to have a read of this!

http://www.animalwardenservices.co.uk/FAQs.html

Can I just keep the dog I have found?  
No!
As much as you may like the dog you have found it is not yours. If you find a dog it is illegal for you keep it without reporting it to the dog warden.
If you are interested in offering any stray dog a new home you should inform your Dog Warden who will be pleased to help.
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #27
Beverley
Adult

That's good to know, I will ring him, I know him anyway so will see what he says.
I will try the sausage and chicken Wendy to see if it works
Old 04-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #28
freakinmental
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNNEEASTER View Post
My dog used to bark at everything even us. I took advice from a dog trainer and everytime she barked when I didn't want her to I squirted a bit of water in her face from a water bottle, It worked In the end I only had to reach for the bottle and she'd stop. Another thing is rattle stones in a bottle as soon as she barks, it distracts them from barking and they don't like the noise.

Let her settle in first untill you try anything though, good luck.

Post some photos so we can see her
we do that with our cat, it really does work quickly and doesnt harm them in any way!

freakinmental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #29
nikkijw
Incubating

good luck with the warden. please keep us updated on how it goes
nikkijw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #30
shaz
Sub Adult

Found dog wardens to be a waste of time to be honest. We found a dog a few years back. Took her in and phoned warden. They werent really interested. Said they would collect her in 2 days time and take her to the pound She was so sweet we said we would keep hold of her until the owner was found. We took her to vets to get scanned, but nothing. We phoned all local vets and left messages to say that we had found her with our phone number but nothing. We left our number in the local shop aswell. Somebody was in the shop talking about a dog being stolen and the shop assistant heard and told then about us picking up a dog. Turned out she was his. She had a habit of goin for a wonder. When i found her she was in the middle of a back road at 12.30 am in the rain. I couldnt leave her there.
Wish i kept her. Found out she got given away as she kept wondering off the farm.
shaz is offline   Reply With Quote