Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 02-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #21
Pussygalore
Adult

I have two cockatiels who have a custom made floor to ceiling corner cage, they are both getting on now and the choice of finding them a new home wasn't a option when we knew we had to move. Their choice if that had happened was either to move to an outside aviary which probably would have killed them in the winter and both are handreared so don't really associate with each other let alone an avairy full of other birds or a small shop bought cage. we opted to have them come with us, most of the time when let out they choose to sit on your shoulder and have a scratch, rarely do they fly much prefering to walk around the furniture, they do have their own uv light as I know uv doesn't pass through the window, they seem to like looking out and let me know when there's something different in the garden. I think they have a good life, the best that we can give them, they are never left alone overnight if we go away they go to a local person who boards them for us, they have a 'night light' as they are getting on and have been known to get on the cage floor and can't find their way back up to where they sleep, they have no drafts and the room is always warm in winter. They know the time they come out and put themselves back into their cage when its time to go to bed, I don't think we could make their lives any better and both were rescue birds having come from not very nice homes and very small cages. Being handreared cockatiels I doubt they'd live very long if released into the wild and being put outside into an aviary for a bird that has been used to being in a warm house would in my mind be cruel, we have tried that before with two parakeets we used to have and they spent all the time sitting in the corner looking terrified they came back in again after a week or so as they were so miserable.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 02-03-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #22
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
I have two cockatiels who have a custom made floor to ceiling corner cage, they are both getting on now and the choice of finding them a new home wasn't a option when we knew we had to move. Their choice if that had happened was either to move to an outside aviary which probably would have killed them in the winter and both are handreared so don't really associate with each other let alone an avairy full of other birds or a small shop bought cage. we opted to have them come with us, most of the time when let out they choose to sit on your shoulder and have a scratch, rarely do they fly much prefering to walk around the furniture, they do have their own uv light as I know uv doesn't pass through the window, they seem to like looking out and let me know when there's something different in the garden. I think they have a good life, the best that we can give them, they are never left alone overnight if we go away they go to a local person who boards them for us, they have a 'night light' as they are getting on and have been known to get on the cage floor and can't find their way back up to where they sleep, they have no drafts and the room is always warm in winter. They know the time they come out and put themselves back into their cage when its time to go to bed, I don't think we could make their lives any better and both were rescue birds having come from not very nice homes and very small cages. Being handreared cockatiels I doubt they'd live very long if released into the wild and being put outside into an aviary for a bird that has been used to being in a warm house would in my mind be cruel, we have tried that before with two parakeets we used to have and they spent all the time sitting in the corner looking terrified they came back in again after a week or so as they were so miserable.
Sounds very nice so really there is no reason other people can't keep tortoises indoors either then is there
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #23
Pussygalore
Adult

all the year round? isn't that what we're talking not just overwintering, not even outside for a few hours on a nice day? I wouldn't have had my dog if we didn't live where my hubby works and are surrounded by fields and garden, if our flat was in a town with no outside space then we wouldn't have had him or I worked full time so he was left on his own. I wouldn't have had the torts, when we did if we again didn't have outside space but then I wouldn't have had the children if all we could offer was a flat, perhaps I'm just fussy but i had a garden as a child, grew up around animals and had parents who felt the same as me, who were as outspoken about animals and their care as I so maybe they should be blamed that I grew up to be someone who cares.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 02-03-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #24
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
all the year round? isn't that what we're talking not just overwintering, not even outside for a few hours on a nice day?
But what about the people out there through no fault of their own whether is where they live or their ability as in old age or disabled who cant get there animals outside for an hour or two are they to be banished from keeping them.
I have a very elderly friend who cannot get out she has care for a lot of the things she needs but she has a tortoise that is about 25 years old it did go outside but due to her not being able for a good few years now it hasn't seen the light of day for a good few years now but it is in perfect health. if she gave it up im sure she wouldn't live long as it gives her so much pleasure.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #25
Pussygalore
Adult

they can choose an animal or bird that can live with them as a companion and doesn't need a lot of active care, a lot of older people have a budgie which can be a good friend and appreciates someone who's there most of the time. You can get someone to walk a small dog for you but how does your elderly friend pick up the tort I know mine were heavy and often nipped my fingers between the shell and leg, how would they manage to clean it out or even replace a bulb without help. My Milo is what you would call a lapdog, he's a chihuahua/papillon so while he likes his walks doesn't need as much as he gets, he likes nothing better than to sit next to you or on your lap. My parents would love another dog but are now to old to walk it and might fall over it and know it so it will never happen but they love to see Milo. Mum's elderly neibour though has had a budgie for years who is a good companion and doesn't need much active care, there are suitable pets for different homes but that doesn't mean any animal you just have to accept what you can care for properly in your surroundings and situation.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 02-03-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #26
becciwales
Adult

The OP wasn't talking all year round. They had the tort in September! It didn't say they weren't plannimg on making an outdoor enclosure.
But PG, I will say, you answered your own argument with how nice your birds enclosure is! That is ideal. The OP is getting a table.

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #27
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
This is all getting a bit silly now, of course the birds need to be contained in some way but its about providing the best environment thats possible but within the constraints that us humans can provide if we insist on keeping animals as pets.
Back to indoor tortoises...I think that we should all strive to provide our torts with as much time in the natural sunlight as possible as the benefits of this both physically and mentally for the torts is immense. Obviously we are keeping an animal that needs far more sun than our weather here gives us so the use of lamps is also a benefit, I think most would agree that a combination of the two seems to work well. My personal opinion is I would not keep any tortoise exclusively indoors as I have seen how much they thrive when outside on a sunny day.
Why is it getting silly we ALL keep pets of one sort or another and most of us do so to the best of our ability don't we. I 100% agree that they will all benefit to get outside for some of our rare British sun but we have to remember its not always possible so why do we time and time again seem to have such negative answers when people ask our advise all it does is send them away and then who knows what happens to the poor tortoise
so what im trying to say is maybe we should try and bite our tongues before we jump in and send people running
Old 02-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #28
Pussygalore
Adult

Gordon do you know why your torts get ill when outside? can't Tunisians be put out even on good days, I only ever kept Ibera that were tough as old boots, even the hatchlings would be out in their little run if the weather was ok. I think I'm right in that Tunisians don't hibernate but why would they become ill in nice weather unless the 'bug' that causes them to be ill can live in the grass and thus reinfect them?.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #29
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Why is it getting silly we ALL keep pets of one sort or another and most of us do so to the best of our ability don't we. I 100% agree that they will all benefit to get outside for some of our rare British sun but we have to remember its not always possible so why do we time and time again seem to have such negative answers when people ask our advise all it does is send them away and then who knows what happens to the poor tortoise
so what im trying to say is maybe we should try and bite our tongues before we jump in and send people running
Yes maybe we should all bite our tongues and only say things that newbies want to hear and not the advise they have asked for! The first 3 people to reply to the op did all give advise but the next person was you and because you didn't like the way that Sandy worded her response it all got a bit silly from there! Maybe its the weather but everyone seems to be a bit negative at the moment!!!
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #30
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Gordon do you know why your torts get ill when outside? can't Tunisians be put out even on good days, I only ever kept Ibera that were tough as old boots, even the hatchlings would be out in their little run if the weather was ok. I think I'm right in that Tunisians don't hibernate but why would they become ill in nice weather unless the 'bug' that causes them to be ill can live in the grass and thus reinfect them?.
No bugs its just the stress that does it my goldens are the same i have tried on numerous occasions but they just don't like it.
But the rest of my lot will be out soon