Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #11
HermanniChris23
Hatchling

I love this idea.

Some of you on here might recognize this tortoise pictured. She is an adult Western Hermann's tortoise (Testudo hermanni hermanni). I am uncertain of her exact age but she is OLD. She was collected in Puglia, Italy, over 2 decades ago by George Ullmann of Turtle World USA. George has since called it quits with the hobby and moved back to Germany from the USA. He had collected much of his tortoise collection himself a long time ago, and just before he left the country, I was lucky enough to get her and some other animals. She was an adult and did not look any different than this when he brought her over, and has not grown whatsoever. She has become my absolute favorite above all turtles/tortoises in my collection and is an incredible animal. She's a whopping 6" and weighs 1,053 grams (large for a Puglian hermanni) and it's clear that she has age on her. She has been my best producer as far as western hermann's go and this is out of upwards of 50 animals that I have had in and out of my care over the last 7 years. These tortoises are known for very small clutches of eggs with poor fertility but this animal never fails to produce 4 clutches per year with 3 to 4 eggs each and fertility has been close to 100%.

She also has a name, which is a big deal for me since I do not normally name tortoises. Her name is Bumblebee and if I were to take a guess at her age, I'd have to say at least 45-50 years old.

Here is a photo of her and you can see more of her on my website: www.gardenstatetortoise.com

She was also featured in the January 2011 issue of Reptiles Magazine.

She's old but still going very strong and just a few weeks ago another of her babies hatched.

VISIT MY SITES:
WWW.HERMANNIHAVEN.COM

WWW.GARDENSTATETORTOISE.COM
HermanniChris23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
Easter Bunny
Adult

AWW, great story and she is gorgeous xx
Old 06-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
burnt toast
Adult

Bumblebee is gorgesous.

One thing they all seem to have in common are the most beautiful smooth shells, hard to compete with mother nature!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #14
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

She is lovely. It amazes me how they manage to produce such large eggs for such a small animal. I have a soft spot for old Hermanns. My oldest Hermanns is 52 years old and I have had her all that time. That's her on the Avatar. All our old ones have smooth shells, we never had heat lamps for them, so they grew slowly!
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #15
JoesMum
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelled Lady View Post
She is lovely. It amazes me how they manage to produce such large eggs for such a small animal. I have a soft spot for old Hermanns. My oldest Hermanns is 52 years old and I have had her all that time. That's her on the Avatar. All our old ones have smooth shells, we never had heat lamps for them, so they grew slowly!

I put Joe's smooth shell down to the incredible detail put into his diet when he was small. He was put in the garden and ate it along with lettuce top-ups!

I'm more careful about what I give him now, but out in the garden it's still his choice of eat, trample or ignore.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #16
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesMum View Post
I put Joe's smooth shell down to the incredible detail put into his diet when he was small. He was put in the garden and ate it along with lettuce top-ups!

I'm more careful about what I give him now, but out in the garden it's still his choice of eat, trample or ignore.
wasn't it already an adult with a smooth shell if it was wild caught?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #17
Levi
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
wasn't it already an adult with a smooth shell if it was wild caught?
My Dotty was wild caught in 1978, she was about 10cm, so not an adult.

Like Joe she also has had very good growth, no UV lamps or Viv's/Tort Tables, D3 etc

I'm not sure if being in her late thirties is old enough for her to be classed as a "Old Wild Caught" tortoise.
Or would this just be for "Adult" WC torts anyway ?
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #18
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

how did you know it was wild caught though?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #19
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I think some Horsfields could still be wild caught these days but is it simply easier/cheaper to farm them and sell them or catch them and sell them
Old 07-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
Levi
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
how did you know it was wild caught though?
She was in a large crate full of torts, about four deep and she was covered in ticks. The pet shop owner removed the ticks with a cigarette.

There was no need to farm torts back then.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote