Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 14-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
Yvonne G
Hatched

Default Tell Us About Hoarding Because of the Virus

I thought it would be interesting to see what's going on in other parts of the world due to the Corona virus scare.

Here in Central California our schools are closed until the middle of April, the California Governor has declared no groups of 250 or more can get together, people are hoarding supplies and store shelves are empty, all events where people get together, sports, car, etc. have been cancelled.

I don't understand why people are hoarding grocery supplies. I can see maybe a run on hand sterilizer, face masks, etc. but groceries?

So what's going on in your neck of the woods? Are people acting crazy?
Old 14-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

I'm in isolation so not a problem
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I'm in isolation so not a problem
Are you sure you're not smuggling out some delicious hospital food for the family?
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
Are you sure you're not smuggling out some delicious hospital food for the family?
Ha, good idea Mary - though we are probably paying for all Gordon's family food by way of taxes for the last year - enjoy Gordon!

Well here I have 16 toilet rolls - my goodness how I have upset some friends who think I am stocking up, or is it hoarding, or is it stockpiling...... I love sending them pictures of them all lined up. It makes me happy
Old 14-03-2020, 06:01 PM   #5
tortydat
Sub Adult

I have six tins of baked beans, 4 tins of soup and 250 teabags. I am also deliberately not picking the weeds in the garden in case I have to self isolate!!
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

oooh you eat weeds that's very innovative. Do you remember that programme was it blakes 7 - wasn't that a virus that hit and they all had to live on weeds and awful acting?
love soup, CB
Old 14-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

I started adding extra things to the weekly shopping list as soon as it started spreading from China to Thailand and so on. The cupboards are stocked, the garage fridge and freezer too and I have a box full of noodles, soups and things like this in case we end up on lockdown and can’t get fresh bread (not that I eat it much as GF bread is so expensive!) so everyone can have these alternative things for their lunch instead of sandwiches, toast and so on.

I’ve stocked up on ALL my autistic son’s foods as he has a limited diet and so he wouldn’t just eat alternative. People say he would if he was hungry, but he doesn’t feel hunger or thirst in the same way, so he literally wouldn’t eat.
So we have boxes of his breakfast cereal stacked up in the garage, bags of his dried fruit selection (as he eats veg but isn’t a fan of fruit so this is a way of getting his nutritional needs met and luckily they last a lot longer), lots of spaghetti (his fav meal is spag bol) and I have root veggies stored to make soups, casseroles, top cottage pies and so on.

We have a sack of dog food in the garage too plus I got a big bag of Mazuri just in case I run out of weeds and flowers and I’ve got extra fish flakes, already had budgie seed in the freezer and guinea pig food, so the animals won’t run out of food either! The main concern would be my son’s tree frog who likes live crickets.

Hubby buys our kitchen roll and toilet rolls in bulk from Makro anyway, so we’re fine for that.

It’s all stuff we’d use anyway, and just by adding extras to the list for a number of weeks we’ve got a lot without a mad scramble at the supermarket like people are doing now.
I even have all the ingredients for the Easter baking and everything for the roast except the joint of meat. No harm in planning ahead just in case.

We even have sanitiser and face masks which hubby obtained through work back at the start of the year. He looked at me like I was mad when I requested them but now even the main supplier, Purell, has run out.

I think we could end up on lockdown conditions at some point. I would prefer for my family not to get it. I know they will prioritise those needing hospitalisation and ventilation and in Italy they won’t ventilate anyone with a cancer history no matter what age, so as my hubby had cancer 15 years ago and pneumonia last year, he probably wouldn’t be treated. Things like that play on my mind a bit but all we can do is try and keep ourselves as well as possible. Not being able to accompany loved ones to hospital is also a real worry because of my son with autism. He would be unable to communicate with medics as he would be so frightened and he doesn’t make much eye contact with anyone. He would probably be selectively mute, something he has now gone past the stage of for quite some while. He hates being touched too, so what would I do if he had difficulties breathing? The thought makes me sick. My heart would literally break if I wasn’t allowed to be with him.

Our government seems to want to try things differently to most other countries and have certainly taken their time in implementing restrictions, and even then they don’t do it with immediate effect but we have to wait a week. I do wonder whether the newborn baby being diagnosed will change Boris’s thinking as his fiancée is pregnant.
With WHO openly criticising our country’s non-active approach, I suspect we’ll see things step up a notch. Our main hospitals have closed the surgical wards and turned them into ICU wards and the mortuaries have had to find extra storage in case it is needed.

My take on getting extra groceries was in the event of a more Chinese type lockdown rather than Italy’s, where people are still allowed to the supermarket and pharmacy. If we weren’t allowed to leave our homes, I know we have enough to keep us going for a good few weeks.

My eldest son has lost about 90% of his main work in his day job. He has plenty of other business interests which will tide him over for the moment, but I think everyone will find themselves affected personally in some way or other. My husband’s employer has his head in the sand, my daughter’s employer has made lots of contingency plans and is keeping on top of hygiene at her workplace so is the polar opposite.

It’s very unpredictable and I’m not convinced by the herd immunity theory. We have flu jabs every year and every year scientists have to try and forecast which strains of flu will be more virulent and thus will be immunised against, but still people get other strains of flu. Covid19 has the possibility of mutation I would imagine and so even if we become immune to it by having and surviving it, what’s to say those people wouldn’t get it again as it mutates?

I don’t actually get the fighting over toilet paper. People have gone a bit bonkers with that.
Nothing like winding up people with your little stash, Clare.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #8
sandy
Adult

We have not done any extra shopping, although we are not going out mixing with people apart from a food shop if needed. We did go out round the block to get some weeds for the torts, and to get some fresh air.
We got a large carrier bag ( a reusable one) full of sow thistle, dandies and mallow leaves:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 09:41 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

I went to Waitrose to stock up on stuff for the freezer, and came home with some pretty cake plates ! I went back a few days later to get what I first went for, and came back with the matching cups

Having said that, we are only going out to do food shopping , and have stocked up on a few things now, not mixing with anyone other than that. I’ve got a big bag of pre alpin, so if I can’t go out at all, the torts will have to eat that.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 14-03-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 09:45 PM   #10
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
We have not done any extra shopping, although we are not going out mixing with people apart from a food shop if needed. We did go out round the block to get some weeds for the torts, and to get some fresh air.
We got a large carrier bag ( a reusable one) full of sow thistle, dandies and mallow leaves:0)
There’s lots of nice weeds coming up now, which is great, but that has me slightly concerned when there have been numerous photos of various countries online spraying the streets, pavements, estates and even people with disinfectant. I worry about the weeds being contaminated if they start doing it here too. I’m so glad I have a fairly good supply of edibles in the garden but got some Mazuri as a back-up. Couldn’t find anyone stocking Nutrazu anymore.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote