Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
TessaRuth
Egg

Default Post hibernation eating

Firstly, thank you to all who have helped me so much as a new tort keeper. I have a twelve year old horsfield tort. We got him last year and had three very successful months before hibernation. He was checked out by the vet before we fridge hibernated him. The vet advised 6-8 weeks but we stuck with what his previous owner said was usual for him - 11 weeks. Accordingly, we brought him out of hibernation yesterday - following usual instructions of warm room, house and plenty of baths. He seems happy and bright but has not eaten yet. His house is 30C plus. He just seems to want to sit under his lamp with eyes closed. I've read that you need to worry at a week post hibernation without food but I'm wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of how quickly an otherwise healthy looking tort should take to eat. I've given him his favourite foods plus tomatoes. Do they take a few days to get going? I live in southern England. Thank you again for any help.
TessaRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

morning Tessaruth, sorry no one has got back to you as a few more days have passed and maybe he is eating? I would try not to feed fruit to Horsfields as they will have the runs, but appreciate former owners may have done so. Try cucumber - this again isn't ideal but they seem to smell it more and it may activate his little taste buds and provide some fluids. Personally 30 degrees is a bit high for my Horsfields, if they do go under lamps then I set them to 25 26, and cool end with cooler at night. You don't say what substrate, environment he is in which may help assess better. Hope all is well now. They are all different, some of mine don't eat for days on waking, usually the Horsfields are little piggys though so perhaps turn down the heat a little and see what happens. plenty of baths is good ! weigh him and see if it goes up or down over next few days, CB
Old 25-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TessaRuth View Post
Firstly, thank you to all who have helped me so much as a new tort keeper. I have a twelve year old horsfield tort. We got him last year and had three very successful months before hibernation. He was checked out by the vet before we fridge hibernated him. The vet advised 6-8 weeks but we stuck with what his previous owner said was usual for him - 11 weeks. Accordingly, we brought him out of hibernation yesterday - following usual instructions of warm room, house and plenty of baths. He seems happy and bright but has not eaten yet. His house is 30C plus. He just seems to want to sit under his lamp with eyes closed. I've read that you need to worry at a week post hibernation without food but I'm wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of how quickly an otherwise healthy looking tort should take to eat. I've given him his favourite foods plus tomatoes. Do they take a few days to get going? I live in southern England. Thank you again for any help.

Did you give him a bath?
Is he in a bright room?
If you can open his mouth and check its all clear.
No two tortoises are the same, some can take up to a week before eating, some eat within hours of waking. What they do need is to warm up well so their core is warm. Hence he is under the heat source.
Far better to offer weeds at this time, as they are healthier for him:0)
Its really cold here in Kent, and tortoises can sense the outside temps, so another reason for being under the light and heat.
You could check the temps under the heat, they should be a little higher than in the Summer as the ambient temps will be low. 32c would be good.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote