Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 13-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
tiggi1980
Egg

Smile Sulcata

I've got a sulcata in a tortoise table. I've been told he is a little small for his age and to have his basking temp 35-40 degrees for 12 hours and to not let him go into his hiding box. The rest of the area should be 28-30 degrees 24 hours so at night this will drop with no light on so can I use an infra red light? And if so which watage would best suit this? If not any other recommendations.

What sulcata substrate would you recommend? Pelleted straw?

Thanks
tiggi1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
geordie mark
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to geordie mark

I have a leopard tortoise which is 6 and 5" the slower they grow the better just make sure you are feeding enough and giving the supplements like neutrobal and limestone flour (some alternate daily I use a little of both daily) also I like to use a UVB lamp but people have achieved good results without one. I always recommend they have access to a hide and a humid one at that (some humidity in the hide will promote smoother shell growth)
At the end of the day a tortoise knows what it wants better than you do. I use coco-coir from pets at home or kokosnot from Ikea its great. I also have some Timothy hay sitting on the surface in certain areas

T.H.Hercegvenensis 1.0.0
S.P. Babcocki 0.1.0
Chelonoidis Carbonaria 0.1.0 (My Parents)
West Highland White Terrier 1.0.0
Scottish Terrier 1.0.0
geordie mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
yagyujubei
Incubating

I would use topsoil mixed with coir for substrate. Sulcatas aren't necessarily slow growers. I know a guy whose 28 month sulcata is right around 30 pounds.(13.4kg)My 2 1/2 year old leopard is 14"scl. I personally can't see any reason to purposely grow them slowly. Feed a more nutritious diet. I wouldn't prevent him from using his hide.
yagyujubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
geordie mark
Juvenile

I'm sorry but my leopard has had access to fresh food water as much sunlight and a good diet and he's less than half the size of yours i wouldn't say mine is mal-nourished or anything they all grow at different rates.. Like humans but people are under the false Impression that a big young tortoise is good. All I'm saying is that because its small it doesn't mean there's anything wrong slow growth is more natural.

T.H.Hercegvenensis 1.0.0
S.P. Babcocki 0.1.0
Scottish Terrier 1.0.0
Old 16-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie mark View Post
I'm sorry but my leopard has had access to fresh food water as much sunlight and a good diet and he's less than half the size of yours i wouldn't say mine is mal-nourished or anything they all grow at different rates.. Like humans but people are under the false Impression that a big young tortoise is good. All I'm saying is that because its small it doesn't mean there's anything wrong slow growth is more natural.
This is a point I fully agree with. I get so annoyed trying to prove this point to people saying 'bigger is better'
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
yagyujubei
Incubating

OK, Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I just see a thread with your very tiny leopard just recently? Is it my imagination, or is the development of it's shell not consistent with the normal growth pattern of a leopard tortoise? So, a 7 year old leopard tortoise, that's 4" long, incorrect shell growth, and you still believe that it is growing within the normal pattern of it's species? Then to argue and claim that your methods are correct? Interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie mark View Post
yagyujubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
geordie mark
Juvenile

She's never had a humid hide and this is now believed to be pretty key to smooth growth. look at some leopards in the wild they are lumpy. she's always had UV, outdoors at all opportunities and correct first with supplimentation so I've been doing the best I can. She's also 5" not 4 its not tiny of you do a quick google search that's about right but they all grow at varying rates and they can grow quick but when done with tried and tested methods, there's really no need to imply I am trying to grow my tortoise slowly :S

T.H.Hercegvenensis 1.0.0
S.P. Babcocki 0.1.0
Scottish Terrier 1.0.0