Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 02-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
cazmo
Egg

Default Help with my Leopard

Hi Guys
Im new to this site but have found so far it to be a real help, so much contradiction out on the internet on tortoise care I just want to get it right for my lovely Leopard George who is now 4/5yrs old.
I have sorted health checks and that aspect of things out and yes was one of those sold totalyy wrong things to start with, george know has a great outdoor enclousure for day time but used to be inside in a viv . We have obviously been distraught to find how bad this actually was and have removed the glass and placed a piece of wood accross the front so it looks like a table box I have seen pics of only with a viv shell. What I really need to know is how do you ensure they are at the correct temp now as this is more open than before, just concerned about keeping him happy must say that he moves around lot more now doors have gone and its open.

any advice will be great, I was niave 3yrs ago and thought the petshop new best but at least with my reasearch im getting there

Cazmo :P
cazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
veebee
Sub Adult

Hi Cazmo, you just need to direct the spot bulb downwards and put a thermometer under and higher or lower the basking bulb until you get the right temperature on the ground where he basks, then check the temperatures at the opposited ends of the enclosure (furthest away from the spot bulb) to make sure it is cooler there for him to retreat to.

With my first tortoise I too did the same after reading the info on here, I did as you did at first and turned the Viv on its back so the glassed part was at the top and I removed the glass to make it a large open box. This then allows the air to circulate. In the end tho I couldnt resist making a large open topped torty box!!!

I would love to see some pictures of George, as I have 4 leopards too.

Vivienne
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
carl20
Hatchling

hi there and welcome. I also have 4 leopards and would love to see your pics, i also bought a viv without a uv and fed my tort lettuce for 4 months before finding this site and now my leopard lives in luxury with his three fairly new roomies.
Well done for being humble and excepting the info provided, i found it hard to humble myself as i had just splashed out 150 on a brand new viv for my tort. and had then spent about 70 building a second viv for a seconsd tort i was about to buy from the same pet shop.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
cazmo
Egg

Default leopard help

Viv

thanks for that, correct me if I also have this wrong but spots and uv's I'm led to believe are only on for so many hours a day. If this is the case do you use aheater for during the night? as when we had the viv we were also sold a heater. This is how we used it when it was a closed in viv would I do the same for an open one, put uv and spot on during day approx 12 -14hrs then heater during night to maintain heat of 60-65

gosh so confusing, will sort some pics out soon as I know how to put them on to the site

cazmo
cazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
carl20
Hatchling

Default Re: leopard help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazmo
Viv

thanks for that, correct me if I also have this wrong but spots and uv's I'm led to believe are only on for so many hours a day. If this is the case do you use aheater for during the night? as when we had the viv we were also sold a heater. This is how we used it when it was a closed in viv would I do the same for an open one, put uv and spot on during day approx 12 -14hrs then heater during night to maintain heat of 60-65

gosh so confusing, will sort some pics out soon as I know how to put them on to the site

cazmo
in general the background heat of a central heated house is sufficiant for a tort. If your tort is housed outdoors then it should be fine on the summer nights but will need a heater in the winter.

What type of heater do u use?

Heat mats should never be used.
To post a pic click on 'add image to post' underneath where you type yopur message.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:14 PM   #6
veebee
Sub Adult

Hi Cazmo, as Carl said you only need lights on in the day if its cold, I dont use any lighting or heating at night. During the summer mine are outside so I'm not using any lights, but this little cold spell we are having I've kept them indoors and just put the uv light on. But like Carl says lights/heat lamps needed for winter for 14 hours and turned off at night.

Vivienne
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote