Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 14-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
carl20
Hatchling

Default hinge back tortoises

does any1 keep hingebacks or does any1 have any good idea for there diet and housing, just general info for now as i know the subspeciesd is a factor.
Old 15-09-2006, 12:04 AM   #2
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Carl,

I think Egyptian Dan is your man for hingebacks.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 03:30 AM   #3
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Yes Carl I've kept them . The one key to all hingebacks for good health and long life is to keep them alone. I only put mine together for breeding and only for a day. If you keep them alone and in the conditions each species and subspecies likes they aren't all that hard to keep.
Anyone in particular your looking at Carl?

Dan
Old 15-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
carl20
Hatchling

sorry dan, i dont know the subspecies, someone just emailed me about rehoming theres as they dont think they can offer it a great lifestyle anymore.

Are the humid loving species better suited to vivs or tables and indoor or outdoor?
And same question for the dry loving sub species?
Old 15-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
piglet
Adult

Hi Carl
I have kept Hingebacks and the humid varieties are kept similar to redfoots humidity needs to be about 80% floor substrate wise , they enjoy soaking so a large submergible bowl is necessary they are quite secretive but this maybe due to the fact they are nearly if not all wild caught so usually have a high parasite burden.
Diet similar to redfoots again but maybe a higher % of animal protein such as snails , earth worms , morio worms and wax moths grubs , they enjoy fruit and fungi and will sometimes take greens they do like yellow flowers also.
Temps need to be in the 80's higher end is best , the tropical wet land hingebacks don't take well to basking so red infra red heat admitter is usually best uvb bulb can be used in place but generally they obtain there D3 through there diet and supplements added.
The dryer area hingebacks captive care is not dissimilar to leopards except some fruit such as melon and cucumber should be added to the diet along with the odd snail and mealworm.
Carl can you get a picture of the hingeback so we can id it for you and they do make strangely interesting pets if kept right
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
carl20
Hatchling

thanks darren, i will post pics as soon as i get em. so far i have just recieved one email asking me if i would like to rehome this persons 12 year old hinge back, they got it when it was 6.

should it come with any documents and if it is wild caught what should i ask the vets to do, eg worms/parasites etc
Old 15-09-2006, 01:56 PM   #7
piglet
Adult

No Documents Carl and if in captivity that long its possible ok to leave a worming till the animal has settled with you .
Forgot to mention they do well outdoors in the summer only you can create an enclosure similar to Sandys box turtle enclosure it wpuld do great kept like this and again a indoor table set u is best for the winter months

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
carl20
Hatchling

thanks agen darren, what about substrate, is sandsoil okay or should it be bark?? (regarding the humid subs)

im assuming if it is the belliana then i would keep it like my leos with sand soil and a basking light etc but with more hides than my leos have
Old 15-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #9
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I'd go with bark Carl if it was one of the humid loving species.

No assuming Carl as belliana has a few subspecies with one of them needing humid conditions, K. b. nogueyi. K. b. belliana needs some humidity, with K. b. zombensis needing the least of the 3 subspecies.

Any of the humid loving species or subspecies won't usually use a hotspot. They need fairly constant temperatures with only a 5 to 6 C drop from day to night in the whole enclosure.

Dan
Old 15-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #10
carl20
Hatchling

Thanks for that dan i had no idea, i just assumed that these three were the subspecies of hingeback Kinixys belliana Kinixys erosa Kinixys homeana