Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 08-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
GemmaR
Egg

Default Indoor tortoise care

Hello,
We've just moved from a house with a garden to somewhere without one. We're only here for the short term but it does mean that our tortoises are always in the tortoise table (apart from the occasional weekend visit to my parents garden). We have quite young tortoises and a large table so I don't think its too much of a problem yet and we should move before it is likely to become one. It just got me thinking though and I have a couple of questions:

Not that ours are old enough but do tortoises ever lay eggs indoors or would it have to be an outdoor enclosure?

When setting up I was told to spray the soil with a water mister every day and have been doing that but it does worry me that they like to be dry to prevent shell rot. Should I be spraying them? They are Mediterranean Spurs.

Thanks for your help!
GemmaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

They will be fine on a table even if it's a couple of years and the table is big enough the bigger the better.
I know a few people that for various reasons can't get their torts outside at all but as you say you can take yours out so not all doom and gloom even though others will say different I'm sure.
As for spraying every day I don't maybe three times a week but I do make sure they have an area damp all the time that if they feel the need to they can go to it a hide over it is a good idea.
I think as long as you give them some outside time and as much weed based food as you can in the short term of a tortoises life they will be fine.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
Suze65
Adult

I agree with Gordon, I wouldn't worry too much, as it's only short term. People often don't get their torts out much for alsorts of reasons, as Gordon will tell you, many of the North African Meds, can't go out unless it's really really warm, or they get a runny nose, people who live in Scotland don't get their torts out as much as we do in the south.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

Gemma, I spray my actual torts daily with warm water, around 34 degrees or our human temp 37 degrees. And the surrounding soil. Most love it, some hate it. I agree with Gordon and no problem if its every few days. have always increased the humidity and let the soil dry out after! It also increases the strength in your fingers and also is like a stress ball. I just like spraying too! CB
Old 08-06-2016, 10:49 PM   #5
GemmaR
Egg

Oh good! Thank you all for your replies, just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't doing anything stupid!
Old 08-06-2016, 10:49 PM   #6
GemmaR
Egg

Any thoughts on egg laying in a table?
Old 09-06-2016, 01:27 AM   #7
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I've had a tortoise lay indoors. About a foot thickness of compacted soil mixed with coir worked well. Warm water was poured over it and a lamp set up directly over the nesting site.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:19 AM   #8
Gordon
Adult

That's easy to sort if you can build up one end high enough ie 18 inches and then put another piece the same hight in the table wit a lower piece cut in it for a ramp so you have a sort of box it needs to be 12 inches deep with soil. Or if you can't do that you could get a big plastic tub as in a storage box cut a gap in that for a ramp fill with soil and job done.
I have a lamp over mine but not to hot.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 07:18 PM   #9
GemmaR
Egg

I've just checked my tortoise's certificates and one of them is 6 years old so shouldn't be too many years off laying. She's small for her age because I bought her from a breeder who didn't keep her very well. Is that likely to delay her laying? I'm not sure she's still growing all that much. We have a male tortoise who is much more interested in her than any of the others. Does anyone know how you tell if they want to lay and are just waiting for the right place to do it? Thank you so much for all your help!!
Old 13-08-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaR View Post
I've just checked my tortoise's certificates and one of them is 6 years old so shouldn't be too many years off laying. She's small for her age because I bought her from a breeder who didn't keep her very well. Is that likely to delay her laying? I'm not sure she's still growing all that much. We have a male tortoise who is much more interested in her than any of the others. Does anyone know how you tell if they want to lay and are just waiting for the right place to do it? Thank you so much for all your help!!
Egg laying is to do with size not age:0)
Depending on the species, iberas can lay from around 800-1000grms.
Signs of being gravid are pacing an area constantly, mounting other females or the male. Knocking things out of their way. All this would not be normal behaviour:0) Digging trial nests is another sign too.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote