Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 04-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
Monica's Leopard Tortoise
Egg

Default Amy Tortoise

Hello I'm new so here is my question. Have I got the only Leopard Tortoise in the world that hates being outside? I bought Amy two years ago when she was four years old. When I put her out on a nice warm day ( that's not to often in the UK ) she makes straight for the coldest, darkest shrubs in the garden, and won't move all day. I have tried putting her back on the lawn several times but she seems to hate being in the open. She's quite happy walking around the kitchen all day and I even leave the back door open so she may wander out on her own accord but she never does. I feel she's missing out on the sunshine.
Any idea's as to encourage her?
Monica's Leopard Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
becciwales
Adult

Hello and welcome.
I can't help with leopards, but thought I'd say hi.
You're right about us lacking warm sunny days, especially in Wales, though it is sunny today xx

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica's Leopard Tortoise View Post
Hello I'm new so here is my question. Have I got the only Leopard Tortoise in the world that hates being outside? I bought Amy two years ago when she was four years old. When I put her out on a nice warm day ( that's not to often in the UK ) she makes straight for the coldest, darkest shrubs in the garden, and won't move all day. I have tried putting her back on the lawn several times but she seems to hate being in the open. She's quite happy walking around the kitchen all day and I even leave the back door open so she may wander out on her own accord but she never does. I feel she's missing out on the sunshine.
Any idea's as to encourage her?
All tortoise species will do the same, when are suddenly be put in unfamiliar places. You have to put your tortioise out, in some sort of housing, and let them choose when they feel confident enough to venture out. This can take quite a while.
You also have to make sure they are fully warmed up. Then you will be surprised what temps outside they can cope with.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Hello and welcome from me too As Sandy has advised, torts tend to be creatures of habit and Amy will get used to be outside in time.

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Catwoman63
Adult

Hi and welcome, I have an old girl that won't come out of her shed, unless 1) I put her out and she will go back in 2) I don't switch on the lights in the shed so she has to come out to warm up, or 3) I coux her out with a romaine lettuce leaf x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
Egg

Thank you all, I still have to put Amy in the sun but at least she is beginning to realise that the sun is good for her and it's nice to see her basking with legs sprawled at last. I had no problems with my other tortoise that I had for twenty years but of course he was a different species.
Old 13-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
Egg

Default Amy tortoise

Thank you all, I think I have resolved the problem. I cleared some shrubs from the South facing part of the garden letting more sunlight in and I put an old coco -nut mat down I found her very content lying on the mat basking with her legs sprawled. I think she is getting the message - sun is good - It's now her favorite spot and she is keeping warm. But can I leave her out at night? I have never left her out and have no idea how her previous owners treated her, only that she had shell rot when I bought her.