Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 31-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
kayleigh_kay
Egg

Default Horsfield - Eye drops antibiotics

Hi All,

I did post this before, but for some reason it hasn't shown up.... Anyway

I've have 3 torts (Horsfields) 8yr, 6yr and a fairly new addition Tilly who is 2yrs old.

Now I have them in a tortoise table on which I use only topsoil (no sand mixed in as I am aware this can irritate their eyes etc.) I also keep the soil moist. The 2 eldest have never had a problem, but the little one seems to have a bit of a swollen eye. This happened about 6 months ago with her when I first got her, I took her to the vet who prescribed antibiotic eye drops at a costly sum of £45! (That being for the consultation, it was actually only like £10 for the drops! )

I know that vet prescribed her Tiacil, which I ave kept hold of the box for reference as I am aware eye problems can are common in horsfields. The drop have expired now (though most of the bottle is left) but I have looked and you need a prescription for these drops.

Anyway what I'm wondering is if anybody knows of an alternative I can buy over the counter? I am a responsible pet owner and will take her to the vet if it carries on, but honestly its the same thing as what she had before and I could do without paying £45 for drops.

Could anyone recommend anything? Also if anyone could recommend anything I can do to prevent this? This is my first post on here but I have been using this forum for years and find you all such a great source of information!

Thank you in advance, Kayleigh
kayleigh_kay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antibiotics, drops, eye, horsfield, vet