Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 19-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
winemaker1958
Egg

Default micro chipping

hi.We had our pair micro chipped at the vets on a promo 1/2 price offer.they'd never done tortoises before but it worked a treat.Look out for these types of offers.They weren't sure it would work but tried with success.No ill effect on tortoises and they've been chipped for over a year now.2 chipped for £25.Bargain.
winemaker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
mrchips
Egg

Default That's a Good deal

Two torts chipped for £25 is a good deal at a vets. I'm really not surprised the vet didn't know where to chip torts. Vets often seem very short of knowledge regarding microchipping anything but cats and dogs. I often get vets phone me regarding chipping raptors and parrots. Though I've been trained to do it, because I'm not a vet, I'm not allowed to chip raptors but I'm always being phoned and asked where the chip goes in birds and occasionally torts.

Tortoise owners (and raptor owners for that matter) should also be aware that there are now mini-chips, much smaller than the cat and dog chips that are normally used for chipping tortoises.
mrchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
EJ
Adult

Where do you think a tortoise should be microchipped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchips View Post
Two torts chipped for £25 is a good deal at a vets. I'm really not surprised the vet didn't know where to chip torts. Vets often seem very short of knowledge regarding microchipping anything but cats and dogs. I often get vets phone me regarding chipping raptors and parrots. Though I've been trained to do it, because I'm not a vet, I'm not allowed to chip raptors but I'm always being phoned and asked where the chip goes in birds and occasionally torts.

Tortoise owners (and raptor owners for that matter) should also be aware that there are now mini-chips, much smaller than the cat and dog chips that are normally used for chipping tortoises.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
mrchips
Egg

Hi Ed,

It's not for me to '....... think where a tortoise should be microchipped'. The implant sites for microchips have been agreed for most species by veterinary organisations like WSAVA (World Small Animal Veterinary Association). In the case of Chelonians it is:

Chelonians
Left hind limb socket. Use a subcutaneous site in small chelonians, an intramuscular technique in large species as well as small species with thin skin. The implantation site should be sealed with tissue glue. Hibernating species should be implanted several weeks before the end of their active season in order to allow healing before hibernation. (Copied from WSAVA website).

An amusing implant site is for crocodilians where the advice is: At the back of the throat. Under the tongue! And they don't recommend anaesthetising the critter. Apparently not necessary and it saves money!

Ermmm! Yeah. Right!
Old 26-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

But limbs are expendable

Danny
Old 26-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
mrchips
Egg

I may be missing something here but I don't get the comment!