Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 29-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
shelly07
Egg

Exclamation Tortoise passed a hard tube object, help please!

My hermann's tortoise has been sleeping a lot and not wanting to eat for a few days. Today she woke up and had some food, then passed a tube-like object, probably 3cm long. It was like a hard jelly on the outside and then looked like a mineral-type substance in the middle. She didn't seem to be in any pain and has now got her energy back but I'm worried as I have no idea what it was and it's never happened before. She eats mostly dark salad leaves like lambs lettuce and dandelions and very occasionally dried pellets. I've attached the picture below, apologies that it's not very pleasant! If anyone has any suggestions of what this could have been or how to avoid it happening again they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

[IMG][/IMG]
shelly07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Sorry but I can't see the picture and don't have any idea of what it might be
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

shelly you may have to wait 5 posts before image wil show and it will be checked til 5 posts so bit slower. it is white as it may be hard urates which means potentially needs a little more moisture in the air and fluid intake but I am only guessing til photo is there. also try postimage, tinypic or imgur who host 3rd party web sites as photobucket charges now so unless you want to pay then try some of the free sites, CB
Old 07-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

I’m wondering if it could be a bladder stone, possibly caused by too much oxalate, which is a risk of feeding too much dandelion.
I’d recommend lots and lots of hydration. Soak your tort as often as you can and ensure there’s fresh clean water available for her. I only give dandelion as an occasional feed because of this. They love it of course, but I’ve been leaving the dandy flowers for the bees.

Let us know how she’s getting on.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

The photo problem is just that it's on Photobucket which is no longer free. imgur is a free one if you want to give that a go
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
shelly07
Egg

Thank you all for the advise. I’ve tried varying her diet and bathing her more frequently and so far she seems to be okay. She does seem to spend a lot of her time hiding in the corner and sleeping but is happy to move around when I put her in the garden so I’m not sure if maybe the air in the room she’s in just isn’t right for her as someone suggested. I’ve tried putting the image again, not sure if it’ll work or not!
[/IMG]
shelly07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hard object, help please, hermann tortoise