Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 10-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
philgst
Egg

Default Fridge hybernation

Hi guys,

I've hybernated my hermann Alfie in our garage for a good few years, but this year we moved house and don't have a outdoor place to hybernate her. So this year I'm doing it in a fridge. I've read up on how to do it but my question is how often and for how long should I open the door for air?

Should probably mention it's a beer fridge so pretty small

Thanks in advance
Phil
philgst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
Daryn
Hatchling

Ive never done this but I did study it when I first got my tortoise, I read that you need to open the fridge once a day, just open it and shut it that all it needs.

Again Ive no experience doing this its just what I read, better to see what others say.

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
philgst
Egg

Yeah cheers mate. I read a bit more on it tonight and that seems to be the general guide lines
Old 11-11-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
Gordon
Adult

I do it and it's very easy all I do is as Daryn says is open the door each day but it won't do any half if you forget once in a while.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

if its a glass fronted fridge then you need to cover the glass, it has to be dark and make sure you use at least one digital thermometer and keep a close eye on the temps as the smaller fridges aren't that reliable. I always checked on mine at least once a day in a normal fridge so once a day min for a small one, is there room for a box/container for the tort, with a lid with holes and taped down or a weight on top in case torty wakes and gets out. Open the door quickly though especially in a small fridge as the temp will be affected far more than a big one

Last edited by Pussygalore; 11-11-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Phil. Yes opening the door to allow movement of air is said to be enough.

I used a beer fridge for hibernation in the past but have changed over to a normal larder fridge. I found it was difficult to get a stable temp in the beer fridge I had. When the central heating was on in the house I found the beer fridge struggled to get the temp down.

That was just my experience with the beer fridge though.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #7
philgst
Egg

Thanks a lot guys

Phil
Old 11-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
Pussygalore
Adult

being able to open the door and keep a close eye on temps is a main reason for not going away when the tort is in there hibernating so remember xmas and what you're doing. An electric failure and a warm room will soon bring the temps up to where a tort might wake equally it can drop as fast causing damage or even death, to be honest we always preferred to use the cold outbuilding with a low wattage heater on a thermostat but have used a fridge before. The one time we did use a fridge I found one tort sitting on top of the box looking at me hence the need for taping the lid or using a weight, luckily he didn't move or fall off the box to the bottom of the fridge or sit against the side where he might have got to cold, its so important to keep a close eye on a fridge, I think you can get an alarm to tell you if the temp has changed.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 11-11-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #9
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
being able to open the door and keep a close eye on temps is a main reason for not going away when the tort is in there hibernating so remember xmas and what you're doing. An electric failure and a warm room will soon bring the temps up to where a tort might wake equally it can drop as fast causing damage or even death, to be honest we always preferred to use the cold outbuilding with a low wattage heater on a thermostat but have used a fridge before. The one time we did use a fridge I found one tort sitting on top of the box looking at me hence the need for taping the lid or using a weight, luckily he didn't move or fall off the box to the bottom of the fridge or sit against the side where he might have got to cold, its so important to keep a close eye on a fridge, I think you can get an alarm to tell you if the temp has changed.

Exactly why I wouldnt ever fridge hibernate my tortoises:0(

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

one of my adoptee owners kept their tortoise in the salad tray of their normal every day fridge. just saying.