Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 03-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #11
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonesomeGeorge View Post
I've just found a similar story on the internet, and they suggest bathing in salt water to clean the infection. I don't have any iodine, so I think this would be a good solution for now, and hopefully clean out the wound fully. What do you think?
I think she needs to be seen by a vet, if you had a bite from a dog you would need pain relief, so she probably does too, and dog bites can cause infection , so antibiotics may be necessary .

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #12
Merlin M
Adult

Hope Flo is ok!
Do agree with a trip to the vet, just to make sure
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
LonesomeGeorge
Hatched

Thank you Lynne I'm just hoping and praying everything will be alright-fingers crossed. She seems to have taken longer to get to sleep tonight, and was still digging when the lights had gone off on timer. I've decided that I will give her a salt water bath in the morning, and see how she is. Will keep you all updated on how she's doing in the next few weeks.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
cherylahutch
Adult

Poor flo I dread to think what my Labrador could do to the tortoises they have very strong bites. I really think a vet visit would be a good idea, she might look ok but there could be a lot of internal damage. Hope things go ok with her x
Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #15
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

You really should make a vet appointment as a matter of urgency. An infection could well set in and she will most likely be in need of antibiotics and pain relief.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #16
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
You really should make a vet appointment as a matter of urgency. An infection could well set in and she will most likely be in need of antibiotics and pain relief.

I totally agree with above. Torts don't show wigns of illness as in the wild its "survival of the fittest" So she will be rallying & trying to disguise if she feels ill + probably in shock.

Re the salt baths I hope you don't mean sit tort in salt water? Maybe use it to clean out the wounds (although Iodine can be brought for pennies from a chemist) but I wouldn't sit her in it - they absorb water they are soaking in so not adviseable to add salt

If your concern is about finance most vets will let you do a payment plan + I don't think it will be very expensive
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #17
alley cat
Adult

I assume that as you said she was still digging after her lamp went out that she is on top soil or similar, it would be best to put her onto something like newspaper so that the wounds are kept as clean as possible. Hope she will be ok
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #18
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
I assume that as you said she was still digging after her lamp went out that she is on top soil or similar, it would be best to put her onto something like newspaper so that the wounds are kept as clean as possible. Hope she will be ok
I agree with Alley about this and everyone else that has recommended a vet visit.

Danny
Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #19
Mrs Frog
Adult

please make sure she is seen by a vet asap,I have nursed a friends tortoise that was hurt in the same way,they seem to delay the after effects of the trauma,infection and stress can very quickly take hold and she is going to be in pain,even if she is moving around,its like the survival instinct,if you do not do this you may find that she goes down hill very very quickly
I would not try and treat her at home with a situation like this,I am concerned about her lungs
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #20
Pussygalore
Adult

I'm sorry but you may think she's fine but if you were bitten by a dog you would go to the gp and if you were in pain would do something about it, your tort can't tell you and maybe the hyper activity is her trying to get away from the pain. If something is wrong inside the longer you leave it the more likely it is to become worse and cost more if money is an issue I'm also pretty sure that you knew the response you would get before posting the thread.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote