Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 04-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Default eyes closed and lethargic

One of my hermanns has developed a problem quickly over the past 24 hours. Her eyes are closed and although walking about a bit like that she is not as active as she was. She stayed in the same spot 'resting' for several hours.

Even today this tortoise seemed oK in the morning. Around noon she ate food and seemed normal then. Within a few hours though she seemed quite inactive, the eyes were closed and di not open when I handled her.

I placed the tortoise is a bath and her eyes did sort of open in there, she also became more active and loved having water poured on her head. Either the eyes are very dull looking or I was loking at the first set of lids being still down. The eyes do not have that bright shiny look they should have but as I say, I think I was looking at the first layer not the actual eye.

I don't think there is anything major wrong wiht my husbandry so I won't take time up describing it. But it is important to say that 3 days ago I brought this tortoise indoors. Before than she had been in a heated coldframe with a basking lamp. In constrast to London, the weather here the past few days has been poor. So I was bringing the tortoise in to keep her going for a couple of months in an indoor enclsoure.

So it might be somehting to do with coming indoors. Nose looks dry, the breathing is maybe a bit shallow. Examined the body and no signs of anything obvious like a wound.

After the bath she went off to bed quite slowly.

I'm quite certain this tortoise was not like this when it was living outside and it wasn't like this yesterday either. I've been observing her quite carefully so that with any sign of a slowdown I could bring her indoors.

Any suggestions of ideas welcome.

Two other tortoises are in the enclosure as well. They have been in there for a few weeks - being smaller I brought them indoors first. They have been fine in the enclosure so I don't think its a lighting problem and its plenty warm enough etc.

Thanks for reading.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
alley cat
Adult

Seems a bit likely that she just hasn't coped very well with the change, maybe someone else will be able to think of something
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I hope that's it AC. But she was OK yesterday.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Thats the thing thats puzzling, tortoises never do anything fast (except for maybe chasing the girls ). If the eyes aren't puffy, I think it might be the start of a respiratory infection. Keep an eye on her for the next week Jonathan, for worsening symptoms.

Danny
Old 05-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Thanks Danny. I thought possibly she might be about to get RNS because of the change of environment. The eyes don't look puffy. Should I separate this one? I could do that, but she would have a smaller area - though I suspect she isn't going to be running about a lot.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I'd seperate her and try to keep her around 30C day and night.

Danny
Old 05-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
turtoise
Egg

What kind of light are you using now? Sometimes the lights have an adverse effect on their eyes.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Herpard
Adult

You just pretty much described how my leopard used to be!

I tried everything, turns out her lights were too bright for her!

She now has a red (sometimes green) bulb for her heat/basking spot which she seems happier with and is now much more active than when she had the bright White light.
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
JackieL
Sub Adult

What sort of heat/UVB are you using?

Reason I ask, I have read that some types of UVB lighting can cause issues with eyes.

I'm on a bearded dragon forum, (American) they swear that the ReptiGLO range of UVB lighting is renown for this. Symptoms being lethargy and the animal not opening eyes/eating/pooping, once the light was changed, animal recovered fully.

I have no idea how true this is, I just bare it in mind .

I own a bearded dragon, I have never opted for this make of light, I get the ReptiSUN's instead.
JackieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
Kirkie
Adult

Hi Jonathan,

Don't want to worry you but I *lost two *young Hermanns to very similar symptoms to those you are describing about 5 years ago. They were new tortoises to me but it was a very rapid decline. General lethargy, eyes closed but not swollen. *I only had them a week so it may have been triggered by the change of environment.

I know your lighting would have been checked thouroughly, you've got a very good vet if I remember correctly. Why risk the wait mate.

Hopefully the tortoise has picked up but if not I've gotta say vets.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote