Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 25-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #151
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by swad1000 View Post
I'd very much doubt if bathing alone could rehydrate a tortoise, the uptake would likely be quite low, unless it was bathed for very extensive periods, and even then I doubt it would provide a solution on its own, its never going to be a primary source for water uptake.

But helping to keep a tort hydrated, or helping to rehydrate a tort sure why not.

Just as feeding high water content food would help, but probably not be enough on its own.

To me its an every little helps case.
Agree, there could have been other factor's as well, like something internal shutting down.
Old 25-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #152
yuna1971
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 shells View Post
On another site reading, a guy took in a dehydrated tort, and nursed and bathed it twice a day for a month, finaly took it his trusted vet as was getting no better. The vet said, O my god this tort is very dehydrated, after shot's the tort died a week later. The rescuer was not convinced that bathing alone can rehydrate a tort.
By the same token though, surely he nor the vet could say with any certainty that it didnt help, or at least whether it would have not affected any existing condition. The tortoise could have had an existing condition in which nothing would have helped, something more terminal. Sad as that is, I doubt if bathing or not bathing would have changed the outcome. But it might have given the tort a more comfortable existence whilst it was alive... I think it proves nothing regarding whether hydration plays a part on an ill tortoise.
Very sad .....

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 25-09-2010 at 10:07 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #153
joanna
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
By the same token though, surely he nor the vet could say with any certainty that it didnt help, or at least whether it would have not affected any existing condition. The tortoise could have had an existing condition in which nothing would have helped, something more terminal. Sad as that is, I doubt if bathing or not bathing would have changed the outcome. But it might have given the tort a more comfortable existence whilst it was alive... I think it proves nothing regarding whether hydration plays a part on an ill tortoise.
Very sad .....
I get what your saying Rach, well most of it. I think hydration can play a huge role on an ill tortoise. I think however from what was posted - bathing isn't enough if the tortoise isn't drinking from it espcially when poorly. The bathing alone wasn't hydrating it.
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #154
yuna1971
Adult

Sorry....I think I lost my point..or missed it! xxx Ta Jo!!

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #155
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
Well even if they don't take water in throught their cloacas, bathing definately (in my opinion) encourages them to wee,(and poo)
they then know that their bladder in't so full and then they'd be inclined to drink or eat. So then they're flushing themselves out of any urates so that's still a good thing...just clarifying it in my own mind...sorry, It's a bit early
But, if you squeeze out a bottle underwater then some water gets sucked back into the bottle
When I bath Horace, I see bubbles coming out. he does put his head under.
Horace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #156
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I think my reading of the posts is a bit different to Geomyda's. I don't see anyone saying that they are completely certain that tortoises don't absorb water through the cloaca and therefore its pointless to bathe them. Rather some of us are saying we are not convinced by the cloacal water absorption idea.

I may be wrong but I think we are all agreed on the importance of providing fresh drinking water.

Wendy already provided veterinary advice to the effect that tortoises absorb water through the cloaca because of the membranes but this wasn't enough to convince some. Plenty of vets and their books have been mistaken in the past.

Jonathan
I don't know but all I know that I have had Horace since June 2009. I give a bath every day, thats his only source for water apart from some weeds he eats. Horace pees often
Horace2 is offline   Reply With Quote