Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 19-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Lynseyattwood
Hatchling

Send a message via Yahoo to Lynseyattwood
Default My horsfield, George was sick

I was putting my horsfield to bed, I layed him on top of his hay as usual and he started being sick.. I got him out and layed him on a tissue and he brought up some carrot which looks as if it hadnt been digested at all.. I immediately gave him a bath to see if he would drink but it didn't look like he drank.. He was sick again, again bringing up carrot, and I gave him a fresh bath.. It didn't look as if he drank..
I will now not give him carrot again.. He hadn't eaten very much yesterday and then this happened last night when I put him to bed..
I checked on him before I went to bed last night and he seemed ok.. he wasn't sick again.
Throughout the whole time, he was acting the same as usual.. walking around ok.. he was quite active after his baths.. I was so worried
I just think he ate too much and couldnt digest the carrot so he brought it up.. It scared me because I have never seen him do this before...
Today whilst i am at work, my brother will give him another bath during the day to keep him hydrated and hopefully he will have something to drink then.
Today he will be eating weeds only and i will give him another bath later tonight when I get home from work.. Do i need to be worried?
Also, do you think i should leave his lamp off today? It is on at the moment..

1.0.0 Horsfield

Last edited by Lynseyattwood; 19-05-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Lynseyattwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Kirkie
Adult

Hi,

I'd leave the lamp on as usual. Tortoises vomiting is quite serious but you'd need to differenciate between the tortoise vomiting and regurgitating food. Has he been outside or is there any chance he has eaten something he shouldn't? Keep a very close eye on him. Hope he's ok but I'd say take him to the vet if his behaviour is anything but normal.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Lynseyattwood
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Hi,

I'd leave the lamp on as usual. Tortoises vomiting is quite serious but you'd need to differenciate between the tortoise vomiting and regurgitating food. Has he been outside or is there any chance he has eaten something he shouldn't? Keep a very close eye on him. Hope he's ok but I'd say take him to the vet if his behaviour is anything but normal.

I think he was regurgitating the carrot.. maybe because he just couldn't digest the carrot properly... He hasn't been outside for a few days because it is far too damp at the moment.. He is acting normally.. Do you think he just ate too much?

1.0.0 Horsfield
Old 19-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Kirkie
Adult

Did it happen straight after he'd eaten? I've never had a tortoise eat so much that its regurgitated food (but then I've only had my Horsfields a week ) My Hermanns know when to stop. I've seen them spit food out if they dont like the taste, maybe it didnt agree with him. Just keep an eye on him Lyndsey, sounds like he's acting normally today.
Old 19-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Kirkie
Adult

I'm a bit stuck here Lyndsey as the work computer wont let me onto any of the sites I usually look these kind of things up on. How old is George, has he ever been wormed? Was the carrot grated ro was he biting off lumps. I've noticed that my Horsfields aren't the most dainty eaters and tend to literally bite off more than they can chew.
Old 19-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
Lynseyattwood
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
I'm a bit stuck here Lyndsey as the work computer wont let me onto any of the sites I usually look these kind of things up on. How old is George, has he ever been wormed? Was the carrot grated ro was he biting off lumps. I've noticed that my Horsfields aren't the most dainty eaters and tend to literally bite off more than they can chew.
George is two.. he will be three in June.. The carrot was grated into small pieces..
He has never been wormed..

1.0.0 Horsfield

Last edited by Lynseyattwood; 19-05-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 19-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
lindso3000
Adult

Send a message via MSN to lindso3000

hi lynds hope he's ok and let me know how he is x
They do eat loads, and as he's related to my two I expect he's the same!
Keep us updated
Old 19-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Kirkie
Adult

I'm hoping its a bit of a one off but have a look at this thread on vomiting. One suggestion was to lay off feeding for a day or two (hard I know) to give the stomach a rest.

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ni+sick&page=2
Old 19-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
Lynseyattwood
Hatchling

I have just booked an appointment today to see a vet.. to be on the safe side.. Poor George

1.0.0 Horsfield
Old 19-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Tortlover
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to Tortlover

Hope george is ok
Tortlover is offline   Reply With Quote