Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 23-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #21
CJ
Sub Adult

Hi Lucy

Just wanted to wish you lots of luck with Florence, keeping fingers crossed that she'll
be ok, you are giving her the best possible chance.

Claire
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #22
paganlis
Egg

Hi Lucy,

Just wanted to add my good wishes to everyone else's, and say I'm sending lots of positive thoughts Florence's way. Sounds like your new vet knows his stuff, so hopefully everything possible will be done to aid her recovery.

Now Florence is spending time at the vets, it's time to look after yourself, missus! I know how worrying it is when an animal is ill, and it's so easy to let that take over for a while but you sound like you need to make sure you look after yourself more than most.

Incidentally, I'm an Oxford girl too, although I didn't have tortoises when I lived there so couldn't recommend a good vet. I have many happy memories of nights spent pub-hopping on Cowley Road, or round Jericho... happy days

Fingers crossed for Florence!

Lisa
3 rats - Elphie, Nessa and Melena
2 rabbits - Marlowe and Dylan
3 guinea pigs - Sid, Maxxie and Stan
paganlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #23
linda
Adult

hi lucy

best of whishes with your poorly tort

lets hope she is soon on the mend im presuming she is on anti biotics

please look after your own health so you can look after florence
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #24
Chris Ralph
Hatched

Hi Lucy
I am glad your little tort is improving and hope she makes a full recovery.
I don't know if it is too far fro you to trvel but there is a tort vet in Andover-Mr Chitty.
Chris
Chris Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #25
Sylvia1
Adult

My thoughts are with both you & Florence xx

3 hermanns, 2 leopards, 2 german shepherds, 5 cats, 3 tropical tanks
Sylvia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 02:17 AM   #26
queenofjericho
Egg

All your support means so much, I'm really overwhelmed given I've never posted on here before. I feel like I know you all because I've read so much here, but you don't know me from Adam! The advice has been so useful, to think I was even considering sending her back to that awful vet. Also though all of you who wrote just to say good luck and offer support...

I can't believe she's been managing to move around and eat all day today with septecaemia, and that my last vet could send home a tortoise in that state without even noticing.

Don't worry Sandy I know how serious this is. I'm completely terrified. I know how much experience you have, could you tell me honestly, is this the sort of thing that even if she does well at the vets over the next couple of days and we follow his instructions properly when she comes home she may still die from? Do you think I should leave her at the vets for as many days as possible? I'm sure you're right about the temps, it just made me worry that the vet might not be ok after all. I probably put it badly by the way, he seemed to be saying it should be 25 degrees at night, not 35. (Also all this is coming through my husband, he certainly doesn't hear me right most of the time so he may have made a mistake!)

If anyone else reads this whose tortoise has had septecaemia and survived, it'd mean so much to hear from you.

Lisa and Linda, thanks, I have got into a real state the last couple of weeks, and all my family are worrying about my health as well as Florence's so we're going round in circles. Going to take a sleeping pill right now and hopefully crash out. I've been dreaming about dead tortoises for a month now but who knows, maybe tonight will be the night I don't! (hmmm, seems unlikely). At least like you say she is in good hands, and I can't do anything more for her for now.
Lisa, I live in the middle of Jericho and till I was housebound was down at Frevds, Raouls, Bookbinders etc etc all the time! Frevds is my real favourite, sitting out on the terrace on a summer evening - bliss. Did you go to the university? I did (10 years ago though) and then stayed here.

Right, am GOING to sleep now.

Thanks to you all again,
Lucy
queenofjericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #27
sandy
Adult

Well Lucy your tortoise is still not out of the woods, but I think you made the right decision
leaving her at the vets. As they can react more quickly than if you had to get her to him.

If I am really honest, I personally have not heard of any tortoise that has survived
septacemia, but that does not mean some havent. Or that yours cant be the first one to
survive.
All the time she is ill, she will need the high temps at night. As their bodies need to fight
infection, and they can only do that when they are warm.
A normal healthy tortoise can go down to at least 12 at night, without ill effect, provided
they are warmed up next day. Mine will go down to 10 before I worry<g> then I have
heat in the greenhouses which comes on if the temps drop below 10.
Everything still crossed for her, and you.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #28
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda
hi lucy

best of whishes with your poorly tort

lets hope she is soon on the mend im presuming she is on anti biotics

please look after your own health so you can look after florence
Well said Linda, Lucy please look after yourself, you don't want your loved ones worrying about you too. Fingers and toes crossed for a happy ending

Bindi xxx
Bindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #29
helen1
Sub Adult

Just read this post....you have a little fighter there....so take it day by day.

I spent two periods of my life in Oxford....with hubby and 6 kids we lived on St Mary's Rd off the Cowley Rd....hubby was at St Stephens House.

I feel it is more my home than Blackpool....how can you compare....we returned last year for a very nostalgic visit...I would live there again if my kids were not all settled here.

used to love a meal at Brown's....and the steak pies they no longer sell in the Covered Market!

Good luck and keep us updated....
Old 24-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #30
Little Butterfly
Egg

Little Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote