Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Mrs Ward
Egg

Default How to improve.

Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some more advice on how to improve my tortoises housing. I was given the advice to put towels in for them to lay on but since researching this further, I see that isn't quite good enough. I feel really guilty!

What should I put in for them? They have pebbles, wood, slate but I would love to add some edible plants and other natural resources for them.

Here are some pictures of their current enclosure. Sorry the slate isn't clean, it's from the food they haven't been eating.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Mrs Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Damita
Incubating

Topsoil for substrate instead of towels.... They like to dig down to keep warm...... what type of torts are they? Your light looks extremely high does your table get hot enough? How old are they? how many do you have.... edible plants like aloe vera are good and cactus's the tortoise table website will help you with that......
Damita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Easter Bunny
Adult

What species of tortoise have you got?
Looks like a big enclosure you have there

I have sterilised top soil in my Hermann enclosures, they love to bury themselves. My enclosures look like a little indoor gardens with soil, stones and slate.
Think you've done well with the stones, slate and wooden bridges etc I would if I was you take the towels out and put sterilised top soil in.

Have you got a thermometer to check the temperatures under the bulb? if its not warm enough that might be the reason they are not eating.

See what others say but wel done so far x
Old 01-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Mrs Ward
Egg

Two Hermanns, age 4, I measured them yesterday at 11cm. How far away should the bulb be? I'm hoping to buy a new bulb soon as theirs is on the way out.

I will get some of that soil, thanks very much. I've heard that Argos children's sand can go in as well? I have some of that already if they are allowed it. Are there any other plants I could get?

Also, no, I don't have a suitable thermometer from what I've read. Could you possibly recommend one?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Damita
Incubating

depends on the wattage of the bulb, mine is 60 watt and is 18 inches from top of substrate (My substrate is 4-6 inches deep)

Sand is ok to mix but only about 20% sand to 80% topsoil.

The tortoise table website will have a huge list of plants - think ferns are ok too.....

A digital thermometer is best a duo one if you can get it as hot end should read 32 in day and 21 in cool end and no lower than 15 at night.

Id have the bed area in the cooler end but thats just my opinion.....

Do you have a uv bulb? is your bulb a combined heat/UV BULB? I have separates a strip uv bulb with fittings an a heat bulb for basking..... I did have a combined one but they kept blowing and it was like £40 to replace very 8 - 10 weeks so went for separates which costs a little more (about 10 quid more) but they last a lot longer - like a year (although uv bulb should be changed every 6 - 7 months as they lose uv)
Old 01-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Damita
Incubating

oh ebay is good for thermometers
Old 01-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
natstorts
Juvenile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exo-Terra-Vi...5447865&sr=8-2

I have that thermometer which I put under my bulb to see what the basking temp is which is around 32-34..I also have a combined bulb which gives out UV and heat. I have my torts on different substrates, my older hermann Freddie is on a dirt/sandy substrate which I got from pets at home...but im going to change him on top soil-sand 80/20 ratio which is what my 2 hatchlings which I have noticed they dig down a lot more when they sleep Let us know how you get on
Natalie x

1.0.1 THBs(Freddie and Flo)
0.0.1 Leopard(Otis)
1.1.0 Dogs (Zac + Meg)
2.0.0 Cats (Oli + Billy)
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Draz)
1.0.0 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Ralph)
2.0.0 Gerbils (Patch + Digger)
natstorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Easter Bunny
Adult

You can mix a bit of play sand in with the soil approx 70% soil 30% sand. I used to mix sand but my Hermanns prefer just the top soil.

I use this digital thermometer which works well

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/z...ter-th-24.html

What bulb do you use at the moment?

I think once you have the soil and a good heat source which is lower down to what you have at the moment your tortoises may start eating. xxx

Have you posted any photos of your tortoises yet? Would love to see them
Old 01-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
Mrs Ward
Egg

I must be honest and confess that I can't remember what bulb it is exactly as the website I got it from isn't working now!! I will be buying a new one though.

I haven't taken any recent pics of them but here are some the first day I got them. Their shells are not smooth, I got them like that but they were also completely caked in faeces which makes me believe they weren't treated that well.

Harry is slightly bigger and Elliot is the smaller.

Elliot

Elliot

Harry with his strawberry
2 gerbils
1 mouse
Old 01-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
Damita
Incubating

theyre gorgeous -

can you lower the bulb you have at the moment? theyre cold blooded animals and need the heat for their digestive system to work.......

do you sprinkle a vitamin supplement every 2-3 days lightly on their food?

my 2 love it when i change things round they get more active as its something new and exciting...... maybe try that too....