Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 12-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
2steps
Egg

Default Broght my baby home :)

I brought my baby horsefield home today, put him into his table and he has buried himself almost completely. I paniced when I went to look and couldn't see him anywhere! Is that ok? He hasn't eaten either
2steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

Burrowing is completely natural for tortoises, so don't worry. They mightn't eat because it has just arrived. Take this as normal behaviour.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Give him a nice bath tomorrow, it will give him the chance to drink, and possibly stimulate his appetite. Don't worry if he doesn't eat for a few days it may take him a little while to settle in. Hydration is the most important thing so regular baths are imo essential
What temperature is it under his basking light?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
TortBabe
Adult

We got 2 Tunisian babies today , one ate after a while, one didn't and at 5 pm they took themselves off and burrowed under this big viv plant I have in their enclosure! I bathed mine twice today, and will continue to do so xx
Old 13-03-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Yep, I was raging, Mums ate and mine didn't. Were we supposed to buy their appetite too, lol? I suppose since mine is smaller it has a smaller sweet tooth for lettuce I'm starting to make no sense since I'm trying to be funny to keep my eyes open!
Old 13-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
2steps
Egg

Thanks guys He's been awake in the night as he's now half buried somewhere else. My house is really cold and I'm a bit worried about the temperature. It's 28 degrees under the heater but 15 degrees at the other end of the table. I have an infra red lamp that I use for brooding chicks (to give them heat) would it be safe to hang that over the table to increase the temperature?

I had the heater running and it had been higher than that but now the weathers turned colder again and there is no heat in that room so I can't have that on to help
Old 13-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
2steps
Egg

Also I wondered how sensitive is their hearing?
Old 13-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
EquestrianBabe
Adult

They can hear a little bit, I think.
Old 13-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2steps View Post
Thanks guys He's been awake in the night as he's now half buried somewhere else. My house is really cold and I'm a bit worried about the temperature. It's 28 degrees under the heater but 15 degrees at the other end of the table. I have an infra red lamp that I use for brooding chicks (to give them heat) would it be safe to hang that over the table to increase the temperature?

I had the heater running and it had been higher than that but now the weathers turned colder again and there is no heat in that room so I can't have that on to help
28 degrees is a little low, it really needs to be about 32ish under his basking lamp and in the low 20's at the cool end of the table. What lighting do you use at the moment?

re the infra red light, some would say that it's not ideal as it is an unnatural light i.e red. Perhaps others would like to comment on this?
Old 13-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
2steps
Egg

Thanks, I have a ceramic heater and a 110w bulb, one on each side of the table and the UV tube is the whole width of one end.

Maybe it'd help if I explained my set up? In my hallway we have two wall in cupboards, one was basically a 'junk' room so I cleaned it out and built a table to fit with storage underneath.