Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 26-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
Poppy470
Egg

Default Advice required on best lamp to use

Hi there, I have two Mediterranean tortoises that were rehomed to me urgently. After reading up on them I have decided to order a new table, as they are in a viv. Can someone please tell me the correct/ best light bulb to get for them and the best watt, I've read that a self ballasted mercury vapour lamp is best is this correct? I've been told they are both around 6 years old, but they are both small, the vet weighed them at 210 and 230, thanks
Poppy470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy470 View Post
Hi there, I have two Mediterranean tortoises that were rehomed to me urgently. After reading up on them I have decided to order a new table, as they are in a viv. Can someone please tell me the correct/ best light bulb to get for them and the best watt, I've read that a self ballasted mercury vapour lamp is best is this correct? I've been told they are both around 6 years old, but they are both small, the vet weighed them at 210 and 230, thanks
What breed of tortoise are they if possible post a picture and we can then advise a bit better.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
Poppy470
Egg

Hi Gordon, sorry I've put two posts on...I've not got my head round the forum yet...that's about as confusing as trying to sort the tortoises out!! I believe they are Mediterranean spur thighed, ( I'm guess this is right as they both have spurs on their thighs, or at the top of their back legs) they are very little, both roughly 5-6" long, I can't figure out how to post pictures, but will keep trying & then hopefully will get a proper ID. They are both very active when I let them out for a wander in the house, but they seem to have had the wrong diet for a long time & have been kept in a vivarium. I was told they were 6 yrs old but the vet said they were small for that age.
Poppy470 is offline   Reply With Quote