Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 30-11-2017, 01:37 AM   #1
Michelle Gray
Egg

Question Rescue tortoise health

I have taken on a tortoise (Hermanns) 11years old from a family member who had not got a clue. No uv light no basking light and no exercise. It’s beak was over 2cm long (I cut this) it’s dragging its back legs (Vet checked no fractures but due to no calcium (now powder on food) and no UVB (now strip light and basking lamp) it’s shell is sunken at the back and softer than it should. I’m pretty sure it’s mbd. 😕 I’m doing all I can but I wanted some input on the eyes Vet has checked it and has no serious concerns but I wanted to see if you all can offer your advice and help what do you firstly think about it’s vack legs not being used and it’s in ability to hold its own weight on them and second the eyes and eyelids
Michelle Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

Michelle , welcome to the site and first off well done for stepping up and taking on a sick tortoise. they can be tricky and challenging.
On your posts there will be delays prior to live posting - You need to post 5 posts before the delays cease - in house checking for spam etc - you can then post pickies also.

Meanwhile - you can obtain injections (vitamins/calcium) from the vet which may assist. I have never taken this route but it could be a consideration if not too intrusive on her. certainly calcium supplement with help.

Can not see the eyes yet until the pickie - eyes can be Vit A deficient and or bacterial/fungal/foreign objects / irritation etc so it may be you get prepared with carrot juice for bathing to put back some Vit A into the system (lights can strip this out and although we say rare for this type of deficiency i've found adding some rich vit A foods (yes food stuffs - baby food) into a bath doesn't hurt any. And opticom drops over the counter are good for any irritation , but of course always be led by the Vet- most common cause will be dehydration - lots of warms baths, will wait for the pickies.

I would get a little first aid kit up and ready for her just in case, thanks for posting CB

Last edited by CherryBrandy; 01-12-2017 at 02:40 PM.
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Gray View Post
I have taken on a tortoise (Hermanns) 11years old from a family member who had not got a clue. No uv light no basking light and no exercise. It’s beak was over 2cm long (I cut this) it’s dragging its back legs (Vet checked no fractures but due to no calcium (now powder on food) and no UVB (now strip light and basking lamp) it’s shell is sunken at the back and softer than it should. I’m pretty sure it’s mbd. 😕 I’m doing all I can but I wanted some input on the eyes Vet has checked it and has no serious concerns but I wanted to see if you all can offer your advice and help what do you firstly think about it’s vack legs not being used and it’s in ability to hold its own weight on them and second the eyes and eyelids
The biggest problem is no UV or heat, this has probably caused all or most of the problems. So getting them is the first thing to do:0)
Dragging the back legs could be a renal problem, which only a vet can say.
You are right a sunken shell is MBD caused through no UV/heat.
It will take a long time to right this tortoise, as it can take as long to get better as it does to do the damage. But at least you are asking and doing your best for the poor thing. Bathing in warm water might help things too, as dehydration is/can be part of the problem.
Personally I would try and find a vet who has good knowledge of tortoises as your vet should do a blood test at least.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #4
Jan W
Sub Adult

Just to say well done Michelle for trying to sort all this out.

Your tort is very lucky to have you and I look forward to reading updates.

Your care and attention can make such a difference.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

Hello & welcome Michelle. Well done giving this tort a loving home.

Closed eyes can be anything from a local irritant, an injury to an indicator of general poor health. Can you tell us what substrate this tort is & has been on please? In the mean time you can buy eye drops on line called "turtle eyes" they are orange coloured in a big bottle. They contain vitamin A & are very good, will certainly cause no harm & be a good place to start. 3 or 4 times a day if you can

You say she has a UV strip light. Can you tell us what type? (T8 or T5 or what percentage?) T5 is the most effective & will greatly benefit an MBD tort. Check your temps also as correct temps are critical to UV absorption.

There is a concentrated calcium & vitamin D3 liquid called Zocal D, which I think would be beneficial. Its available widely on line.

Regular long soaks (you will need to top up with hot water) will also be very beneficial. Aim for around 30-35 degrees & you can add either reptoboost (vitamins & electrolytes to give e her a boost) or Abidec (liquid vitamins, available on high street, orange box) to give her extra TLC as they can absorb liquid during a bath.

Pictures would be very helpful & give people a better idea of what her problems are. Good luck x

Last edited by burnt toast; 02-12-2017 at 01:22 PM.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
burnt toast
Adult

Also, what is her diet like?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote