Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 31-07-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
felix93
Egg

Default A probably dumb question, but I need advise please

Okay, I put my 3 Hermans back into their table indoors, because it's really raining badly here and I don't want to leave them out. So as usual, they go into their indoor house (table) and they just do the usual things. I usually just leave them and only check them for a couple of times as I know they should be save in their table.

I went out to the shops just for less than a couple of hours today, and I know they were safe and asleep when I left. But by the time I came home, I checked on them again but poor Shiny Pebble (the bigger male) was upside down in their water bowl. The water is only about half a cm depth. He obviously was stuggling to climb back up himself and the water was like poo water (sorry to be disgust like this). I thought he was dead but when I picked him up, he looked so relieve and I checked him all over, he looks okay and he just walked to the lights "sun-bathing" to dry himself up.

So, I need to know how I can avoid this happen again. I was lucky to find him within such a short time. I wonder if any of you have experienced something like this before? I don't know if I should take their water bowl out every time when I leave them for a period. Not too sure what I should do, please advise?

PS Sorry for being so dumb, but i only have kept my tortoises for just about a year, it has not happened to me like this before and I am scared.
felix93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
carl20
Hatchling

just leave the water in, as long as they cant drowned when flipped over.
My smaller ones tip over when climbing on each other and they cannot right themselves, fortunately they havent flipped over under the light.
Old 31-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
aprillinda

hi felix

keep the water to a depth that the tort cannot drown

then place some stones or rocks in the water dish this will help the tort try to get itself turned back over

linda
Old 31-07-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
Dazza
Adult

They are always doing it, even the adults, just make sure they have plenty they can grip onto and right themselves again..

As long as they do not up-end under the basking lamp they can survive for a good while - days even!! Sometimes the do get stressed and foam and mucus comes out of thier mouths but after a bath, they'll be back again trying the impossiable..

Darren
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
felix93
Egg

Thanks for the reply. They will not be able to drown in the water bowl, the water bowl is just one of those plastic plates for the plant pots and the water is not deep?! I know they always like to go in for a swim but Shinny Pebble is always the clumsiest one of the 3.

Good idea with the stones, I will put some little one in.
Old 31-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

Put some largish pebbles in the water, they can use them for leverage.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 10:08 PM   #7
felix93
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza
Sometimes the do get stressed and foam and mucus comes out of thier mouths but after a bath, they'll be back again trying the impossiable..

Darren
Oh no, this sounds very scary!!! foam and mucus? So I suppose I just found him in the poo water is a better scene, right?

Thanks for the reply from everyone, I have put some pebbles by the water bowl and in the water now, even they are asleep, just don't trust them on their own anymore.
Old 31-07-2006, 10:32 PM   #8
sandy
Adult

Once you really know your tortoises, things will get a lot easier. And you will be more confident
with them<g>.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
Pitcorthie
Hatched

What a scare for you glad he is ok

Sharon
Pitcorthie is offline   Reply With Quote