Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 29-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #41
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
I was hoping to have a few hatchlings to experience incubation etc, but have decided not too, it all sounds too much like a pain in the arse and selling hatchlings would be hard to let go, and that's if sold, I agree with Everything said here x
I think you should do it too Bev, yours are Horsfields so no expense or sorting out of paperwork Just a good owner to find & as there are no size restrictions you can take your time finding them!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #42
Catwoman63
Adult

Thank you both, but there are so many horsfields being sold that people dont want and i wouldnt want any of mine ending up on there! I wanted to breed the Golden Greeks, i might let them have a couple of clutches in a few years (when females are big enough) but will see how things go. But might decide not to then either, it is a shame as i so wanted the experience of hatching eggs, but the way things are going with Defra and so many torts for sale, i dont think i will.

Im happy with the 2 groups i have and if i dont breed them, then i will just keep them into retirement and they can get old with me hahaha x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #43
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
I was hoping to have a few hatchlings to experience incubation etc, but have decided not too, it all sounds too much like a pain in the arse and selling hatchlings would be hard to let go, and that's if sold, I agree with Everything said here x
I understand where you're coming from Bev. I found the incubation period with Chester a nerve-racking business, though it was also an amazing experience. I couldn't let go of any hatchlings either, so I won't ever breed mine to sell. I'll breed if the children want some hatchlings once they've grown and got homes and families of their own but at the same time, I'm not sure I'd really want to rock the boat too much, putting Tabitha through the whole process of being gravid and laying eggs or putting any of the males in with her and unsettling them so they know there's a female about, when they're all so happy in their own enclosures and tables. If I did do it I'd probably only do it the once and my fingernails would be bitten down once again!!
If I had more room in the garden I'd love to rescue and rehome torts but I wouldn't want to compromise the size of their enclosures, so for the foreseeable future, I'm sticking with the ones I've got.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #44
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

You can't stop them laying eggs when they reach a certain size, fertile or not. It seems such a shame to through away viable eggs. Every time mine hatch, it's a miracle I want to see more of. How do we stop?
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #45
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelled Lady View Post
You can't stop them laying eggs when they reach a certain size, fertile or not. It seems such a shame to through away viable eggs. Every time mine hatch, it's a miracle I want to see more of. How do we stop?
Lol don't incubate the eggs. I stopped last year.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #46
Pussygalore
Adult

if you don't sell the hatchlings then surely there has to be a realistic amount that any owner can keep without comprimising their space and happiness. I bred to sell not to keep as I had all the torts I wanted and was able to keep, I'll also admit the money was very nice as I can't work so it was my contribution to the house and 1700 per year is as much as I'd earn with a little cleaning job if I could have found one.
We are very lucky in that we don't pay any bills as our house comes with hubby's job so it was nearly all profit or earnings, but even if you do have to pay you still have to sell or give them away, its all very well and nice seeing tiny torts in a table but what happens when they are big and all need separate housing, the average owner doesn't have the space in and out to be able to do that so may well end up parting with them. Think very carefully before you have a go at breeding as to whether you are prepared to sell or throw eggs away, you can't keep them all and it didn't take long for Tootsie to go from a couple of eggs a year to an average of 20!
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #47
Georgie88
Egg

Default Cert

Hi All,

I'm new to the site so I'm learning!

I purchased a Hermann Tortoise in August (not direct from a Breeder but from someone in the area who was selling one), she came with a Certificate - by law do I need to change this into my name now as the owner?

She isn't quite 10cm just yet so I will look to get her chipped in the new year (I say her but I'm not 100% sure on the sex but the vets seem to this shes a female!)

This is my first ever tortoise, my friend owns 2 hermanns but I'm just looking for extra advice!

Thanks
Georgina x
Georgie88 is offline   Reply With Quote