Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 24-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Not really

No the eggs won't grow a bit. The embryo (not a tortoise until it hatches) will be folded (usually bridge to bridge (side to side)) inside the egg. After hatching the tortoise will have a folded plastron which should straighten out in 24 hours.

There should be a few pictures of folded plastrons in the breeding and incubation section.

Danny
Old 24-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
Hanako
Hatchling

Thank you Danny. It seems to me that even folded tortoise will be very, very small, but maybe it will get bigger quick. I hope... I can't even imagine something so tiny.

How quickly/when will I know whether the eggs are fertile? Will I have to wait a week, or two?
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
burnt toast
Adult

I have only had 1 Herman hatch. From young mother/father 1250/520 grams. They ar THHerc subspecies, so smaller than THB & the baby hatched at 6 grams - is still amazingly tiny, but doing well
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
burnt toast
Adult

How quickly/when will I know whether the eggs are fertile? Will I have to wait a week, or two?[/QUOTE]

You should notice the eggs cloud over white - this is called chalking. Its harder to tell when your less experienced ( I struggle) but if fertile you should see little red veins to begin with followed later by a tiny pinky red blob ( the embryo)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
Hanako
Hatchling

Oh, thank you burnt toast! I will be looking for the red veins then. It is so exciting!!!!!
Old 25-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #16
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako View Post
Oh, thank you burnt toast! I will be looking for the red veins then. It is so exciting!!!!!
Congratulations Hanako, very exciting, I had two very small THHerc eggs hatch this morning 7 & 8gr each tiny wee things. 21 in the last two months and they all grow at different rates.
There are loads of threads on here if you want to know what to look out for with your eggs,.
Good luck
Andy
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #17
Hanako
Hatchling

One month done, another to go...everyone says different length of time before the eggs hatch... I read somewhere someone saying 50 days, somewhere else towards 90 days...I know it depends on the temperature, but I don't think I can wait three months, so I am hoping that mine will be more towards 50-60 days than anything longer. (It is Hermanni Hermanni and I am incubating at the temperature of 33 degrees).
Old 25-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

It will be less than 60 days

Danny
Old 10-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #19
Hanako
Hatchling

We are at day 47 and still nothing... in four days I am going away for a week and my husband will be left to look after the eggs (and possibly the newborns). I am so worried! I have no idea what I am doing, but my husband knows even less! He manages to feed my tortoises when I can't, but he was never very interested in learning much about them. Is there anything I can do to either speed the hatching up a bit, or to slow it down so that they wait when I come back? I am leaving at day 51 and coming back at day 57-58...
Old 10-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #20
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

You can try turning the incubator down to 28C but I don't think that will help You very well could be coming back to hatchlings

Your OH could sign up to the forum and get used to posting as he may have to when they start hatching and needs a bit of advice.

Though you can have ready small plastic containers that you have smeared petrolium jelly on the bottom of. This way if a hatchling comes out with a bit of yolk sack left he can just clean them off and put them in the container (and back in the incubator ) until the sack is absorbed.
Is the hatchling table all set up and running? If not already up and running, it would be a good idea to get everything up and running before you go.

Danny