Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
pagan queen
Adult

Default Why do we need UV lighting?

I was just thinking about lighting. If a tort is outside all summer and hibernates all winter why do we need this kind of lighting? Even if a tort is not hibernated it would get the same amount of UV rays through the summer as a hibernated tort. Even in the low sun days of summer they still get UV rays.

Do'nt worry I will use the lights I was just curious as to why it's needed.
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

My opinion an outside tort most of the year will probably not need any, pictures of 50 year old's and plus outside garden tort's may prove that one. Tabled tort's do, the best UV bulbs on the market can give prob enough UV over a 8 hour period, outside they could get that in about 4 hours on a cloudy/sunny day in summer. Winter non hibernating tort's need the conditions of summer inside, they are fooled into staying active, so good lighting and some constant temps is needed to stop a wind down/semi hibernating period. My outside Hermans have UV mainly from after wakeing March till about may'ish depending on weather.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

yep and another thing to consider is that it's not just getting UV rays that's required, it's getting enough vitamin D3 which comes from the UV rays BUT they can't get that if it's not sunny. They will get some UVB on a cloudy day but it's not a lot of use to them if they can't get hot enough to convert it into vit D3. They need to get to 30c or something before they can do that. Anyway, my pair go and hide on cloudy days due to it not being hot enough to come out. My worklamp thing is being ignored

they will get D3 from nutrobal though
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

What temp can you get under the work lamp Alan. Thought they would have used it for a warm up.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
pagan queen
Adult

This is all very interesting. I have often wondered how some captive torts have survived for 100 years when there was no such lighting available back then.
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I think the old captive tortoises have spent a lot of time outside and got UV from the sun. The UVB in the UK is a lot less than that in the mediterranean countries but under mediterranean conditions the tortoises do not expose themsleves to the sun during the middle of the day due to it being far too hot. So we don't need to provide the amount of UVB that is available at midday in the warm countries.

If we keep our tortoises awake in the winter they continue to grow to some extent and need to metabolise D3. In nature those animals would be in hibernation and slowed down so much they don't need UVB.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 shells View Post
What temp can you get under the work lamp Alan. Thought they would have used it for a warm up.
it depends on any breeze and how warm it is outside. last time I checked the temp it was 28c I think. I put them under it and they just strolled off to hide so I got them back out again and they just went off again
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote