Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 19-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #61
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
The little one is now eating on his own and today has gone to his new home with some lovely people who will give him the love and care he deserves, they dont live far from me so i will get updates on how he is doing, they have named him albert.
Hi Barbara, I'm sure we'd all love to hear how this little one is doing from time to time, will you keep us informed of his progress?
Old 19-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #62
barbara
Incubating

I will. I was getting really attached to him, but im going on holiday to india next week and did not have anyone that could spend a lot of time with him, so when he was offered a good home where i know he was going to get looked after properly i thought it would be best for him. Hes fought all the way and hes made it, i couldnt wish for more.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #63
chatty123
Hatchling

well done barbara. you have to be commended for your patience. have a great holiday...
chatty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #64
Lyn
Adult

Fantastic news Barbara!
Have a lovely holiday!x
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #65
Steph37
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
I know everyone is going to have a go at me for this but yes he is still with us, i just cant do it, he is walking round and drinking but has not eaten anything yet. I think he deserves a chance, a life is a life and as long as he does not look as if he is suffering i am not giving up on him yet.
I realy cant comment on the one with the cleft palate, but my mum had a 4 hatchlings from the BCG, one grew very slowly, barely ate & it was obvious that her eyesight was failing & she became blind. She was told by everyone it would not survive but she was determined not to let it go without a fight, depsite having many others to look after. Someone (not on here-we'd not found this site then) advised her to get Abidec baby vitiamns (human babies) & she bathed it in this daily, possibly twice daily, syringing the abidec diluted over her head. Along with exactly the right lighting which I think goes a very long way towards healing and I think she lost weight for a start when she went blind and weighed something silly (she is a Hermanns) like 35gm when she was 4 years old. Gradually she grew stronger (she was treated for infections as well with baytril which she was allergic to and spun round and round and was very sick) and I remember everyone being excited when she reached 100gm when her sisters the same age were 400gm. She is now 8years old and has overtaken the males of the same age and is nearly 800gm. Believe me, it was a lot of work and time (but no financial cost except the baby vitamins) but she was cured completely. I know my mum is communictaing privately with a number of people on here who's tortoises/hatchlings have been given no hope.
Another hatchling, an Ibera in this case, from the first lot she had was damaged at birth as she was accidentally pulled away from the cord of the egg thinking that the egg was going to explode like the others! she had neurological damage and was given advice on here that there was no hope and she should have her put down. She is now a happy, healthy, 'special needs' Ibera who my mum will never use to breed from, but has a normal active life.

The conditions you describe I realise may be incompatible with life, I have no idea, but if the blindness is not cortical, then you may be able to intervene yourself. And, as tortoises rely on small, you may need to always keep her seperate, but she may have a normal life-who knows? I may be talking rubbish in your case, but am also talking from experience. Steph
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #66
Steph37
Hatched

Oops! Feel a bit silly for the last post-didnt realise yours is blind cos of no eyes-dont think the above will work in this case! Sorry-should have read the post properly, but sounds like you're doing a great job!
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #67
Missy_R
Incubating

Aww bless him. It was really sad reading this, and I couldnt have let him go either, I would have dne anything to give him a chance. Glad it turned out as a happy ending though. Well done and glad he's ok x
Missy_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #68
smallmum
Egg

Poor babies please let us know what happens, we are thinking of you.
Lesley x
smallmum is offline   Reply With Quote