Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 20-07-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
Jason1
Hatched

Default flat tortoise

Hi,

Went into a pet shop close to me that was looking after a hermann while owners are on holiday. The wife and I were very upset by its shell growth. It was extrememly flat, 20cm long and I was told she was only five years old. What is it that makes tortoises flat rather than just lumpy (it was lumpy also)? To put it in perspective the top of her shell was about 6cm high and she is 20cm long. I counted seven growth rings so age is about right.

Jason
Jason1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 02:05 AM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Severe MBD does this Jason. It tends to make animals very flat and usually soft (but not always).

Danny
Old 20-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
helen1
Sub Adult

Hi Jason...is she flatter than my goldie and georgia? Could Mrs L not mount a rescue operation???
Old 20-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Jason1
Hatched

This is Mrs L and I would have bought the poor thing if I could of but unfortunatly he wasn't for sale, just being looked after whilst the owner was on hol. Did send the shop owner a very nice E-mail and he has assured me that he would inform the owner of our concerns but I know he won't. Yes Helen he was loads flatter than your two, don't know how the poor thing was still breathing. Looked very much like he had been fed dog food all his life.
Old 20-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
helen1
Sub Adult

Hi Claire

i meant more along the lines of a distraction burglary than BUYING him......poor little devil.......how about a note to be given to the owners? with an offer of help and expressing concern about his deformity, and life expectancy....without actually putting the blame on them!! I mean it could have been a severe abnormality at birth they probably dont realise that there is anything wrong!
Old 21-07-2008, 12:44 AM   #6
Jason1
Hatched

Clare seriously considered burgualry thing but her pockets werent big enough, also I dont think the kids would be too happy with a mum behing bars. Dont want to intrude too much for fear of pet shop owner not passing information on. I've done what I can and if he does pass the e-mail on they'll have my e-mail address so they can make contact if they wish. If anyone has the book "mediterranean tortoises" by "Lance Jepson" take a look at page 51 bottom picture, this poor tort was worse with an idented middle of caraplace.

Jason
Old 21-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
helen1
Sub Adult

Jason...what is a car a place? a new term for a car park perhaps? She wont get time for an act of mercy...or whatever the legal term is...I would suggest Community Service at a zoo to make her see the error of her ways