Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
JohnCM
Egg

Default Rehoming advice

In December we bought two Hermans with a viv set up from a pet shop. I now know that we made a number of fairly crass errors here, the biggest being that we believed that the pet shop owner was being honest with us. We now have a major bullying problem with the smaller tort constantly stressed and trying to escape. So reluctantly we want to rehome the bigger of the two whilst investing in a table which is what we should have done from the start. The torts are certificates and chipped and we are more interested in it going to a good home than in getting any money for it. We live in North Cornwall, can anybody out there help us please?
JohnCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
Lynnie Lou
Incubating

Hi there, sorry no one has replied to this sooner. Are you sure they're Hermann and not Horsefields? Hermann aren't usually like that toward each other, but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will put me right. Vivs can be okay for hatchlings but not older, never used one myself. Always used a table. They might settle down if you get them in a Tortoise table. If not I know someone who is looking for a Tortoise but it's a long way to come for it. Hope this helps. Not one of the experts on here though.
Old 19-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
Jan W
Sub Adult

Hello and welcome to the forum. Although sorry I cannot help with your re-homing, but perhaps someone else can advise.
Old 19-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
vikki
Hatched

If you get very stuck then maybe The Tortoise Protection Group or Tortoise Trust could help as both offer re-homing services although I have no personal experience of either
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

How big and what temperature is the viv please? Could they be too warm? Can you post some pictures of their undersides (think you have to make 5 posts to put up pictures, make a few comments on pictures) We can try to confirm sex if you put up pictures of their undersides. In the mean time have you got "sight breakers, hides and you could also try 2 feeding stations as I have a female Herman who from a young age bullied over food.

As mentioned the tortoise protection group have a very good rehoming service: They advertise the tort for you ( to a very large audience) and put forward to you the best applicants, you then choose the home you prefer
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote