Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 16-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
JawsMew
Egg

Default Algerian Whitei Spur Thigh ... is coming tomorrow!

Hello!
I posted before with photos of the tortoise I am rehousing. I have always wanted to own my own tort and have been given the chance as two very elderly friends of friends can no longer care for him/her. They where simply going to set it free. When I asked more about the tort all they told me was he lived in the garden and took shelter in a dog kennel. He ate weeds, grapes, cucumber and strawberries. They hibernated him in a box. That's all. Never no lamp, never indoors. Since finding out about the difference in species I tried to do research and thank goodness came across this site. Since posting a photo I have found out he/she is an Algerian spur thigh. I know him to be at least 40 years old.
The daughter is bringing him tomo (a week) early and I could really do with some help on what I really need, what I should pop out and buy in the morning, if I should enage him/ her in hibernation and what to feed him on? I have a walled safe garden which I am happy to give to him. I have had three pm asking if i would sell ... which is making me think this is a desirable sort. I want this to be his forever home. But i don't have huge amounts of slave. Please help. Thank you!
JawsMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
alley cat
Adult

Hi, this message is not for you but to the 3 people who private messaged you...how unbelievable! this person has come on to this forum to get help and support with caring for the tortoise that HE WANTS and I cant believe that people on here are as good as trying to snatch it from them before they even have it, what would that dear elderly couple think who have given it to this person? Selfish, greedy, sneaky...I could go on

Jawsmew, welcome to the forum, I hope you really get the help you need and enjoy your tortoise for a very long time
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
JawsMew
Egg

Thank you. I won't be parting with him / her. I gave my word that this would be his forever home. I just want to do everything right. I have limited space to work with indoors. I won't be naming names on who messaged me, thats not me - but because of this I am wondering if he is valuable? ? Thank you.
Old 16-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
Mrs Frog
Adult

oh my goodness,who would do that? what a shame,I always wondered why and who would take or steal other peoples animals,cant believe it.who? tell us
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
Pamalu
Egg

Hi JawsMew, I am a newbie here as well, I have just got my first tortoise. You asked whether yours is valuable or not, I would say he is priceless, priceless to the elderly couple that had him for 40 years and are now entrusting him with you. Well done to you for that. I'm sure you will get the best help there is on here. I would suggest carrying on with what he is used to at the moment, now the weather is getting warmer, he will be used to being outside. In the meantime you can read as much as you can about that particular breed and learn what needs to be done. I would also say, if he has survived for 40 years doing practically what he wants in the garden, then he should be easy enough to look after. Good luck with that.

www.facebook.com/patlucasportraits

www.patlucasportraits.co.uk
Pamalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
JawsMew
Egg

Thank you. I am just worried I'll do something wrong! I have not been this nervous since the birth of my children! Ha ha ha!
Old 16-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
becciwales
Adult

Well, who ever it is you should all be ashamed of yourselves!! People come here to ask for advice and you just show greed.

I'm glad you won't be parting with him/her.

I hope you get the advice you're after. I can't advise with older torts as I'm a novice, but good luck, you'll love being owned by a tort.

A good start to your shopping list would be:
Limestone flour or calcium of some description.
Cuttlefish to gnaw on.
Something to bath/soak him/her in.
A feeding slate - good to keep beak trim.

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
Mrs Frog
Adult

I would see that as a good thing,you will be extra careful with your new charge and that is probably why you are taking her on,you will start with a clean slate and learn the correct way rather than some people who think they know it all,congratulations to you and you will love tortoise keeping,she will probably tell you what to do
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #9
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamalu View Post
Hi JawsMew, I am a newbie here as well, I have just got my first tortoise. You asked whether yours is valuable or not, I would say he is priceless, priceless to the elderly couple that had him for 40 years and are now entrusting him with you. Well done to you for that. I'm sure you will get the best help there is on here. I would suggest carrying on with what he is used to at the moment, now the weather is getting warmer, he will be used to being outside. In the meantime you can read as much as you can about that particular breed and learn what needs to be done. I would also say, if he has survived for 40 years doing practically what he wants in the garden, then he should be easy enough to look after. Good luck with that.
Well said Pamalu In the 40 years or so that the tort has been on the planet, husbandry has gone from non existent to quite involved I agree, too much change at outset would probably stress tort out - wonderful that you have a walled garden for him/her to forage in for food. I think I would be inclined to weigh the tort when you get him/her so you have a start point to monitor from and check that they are eating enough. Not sure if you have had the link for Tortoise Table - a wealth of information on good and bad weeds for torts
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s...atabase_14.asp

Because our UK weather can be so variable, the benefit of access to a greenhouse, shed, dog kennel - some sort of shelter, is invaluable If you are able to fit that out with some form of heating, perhaps tube heaters, so much the better As Pamalu said, reading up loads on your tort will suggest to you, other "improvements" in lifestyle. Keep us updated and shout if you have any queries at all

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #10
becciwales
Adult

Nothing like someone with hands on experience to get the best advice!!

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote