Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 19-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
scrambled legs
Hatched

Send a message via Skype™ to scrambled legs
Default waters edge bowl

after a lot of hinting, i managed to get my girlfriend to order into the vets she works at a waters edge bowl.

this waterbowl is a great idea, its a bit different to a normal bowl, there are three treebark walls and on the 4th wall, there is a 'sleeping policeman' style bump that enables your tortoise or reptile to easily climb in and out, they look good and carry an ok pricetag.

it did the job as soon as i put it in the enclosure but i have a few grumbles with this thing.

it is really shallow, it doesn't hold a lot of water, there is space for lots but the large size bowl isn't really much good for anything more than an infant tort of up to a year old. because of a shallow third wall, you can't fill it as much as you think, its kinda like an optical illusion.

after a few empties, i realised that there was a hole in on of the deeper corners, the insides of this bowl are hollow so the inside is full of water now and i really can't empty it out!

to make matters worse, as i was trying franticly in the garden to shake all the water from the inside out, i pushed my thumb through the bottom of the casing (i cracked a great big hole in the bottom) resulting in water splashing out on the groin of my trousers.

as you may have guessed by now, i don't really want to use this bowl anymore, i'll be using a different waterbowl the next time i hit the shops. i don't think i'd really reccomend this bowl, any of the sizes, i think its made poorly and should be rethought.

thought i should share this with you.

Neil
Old 19-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

Hope you had a spare pair of pants handy to change into Neil! the joys of tortoise keeping......nothing like it!
Old 19-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

I have one of those for my hermans, the largest size, I have found that if you tilt it slightley to the back, ( build up under the front) the water is plenty deep enough, my babies will be 3 this year and the water comes to their chins, I've never had any problems and have had it for 2 years now, they can both get in easily so sorry I would recommmend them, if you had a faulty one then I would have taken it back mine has a good thickeness and I certainly couldn't put my finger through it, they are quite costly and I would have returned it.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
scrambled legs
Hatched

Send a message via Skype™ to scrambled legs

ugh!

why didn't i think of tilting it backwards!?

i'll move the soil from the back towards the front of the bowl then i'll see how it goes.

hey laraine, i got a lovely new leopard at the weekend! she was offered to us by a friend. she's 3 to 4 years old and she has lovely pale eyes!

we named her dilly, there should be some pictures soon.

Neil
Old 19-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

Congratulations Neil, Leos are so addictive............Torts are addictive full stop!
Old 19-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

I also build up the substrate at the edges too, so my smaller torts dont tumble coming out of
the water dish.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote