Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 22-05-2016, 09:43 PM   #51
vikki
Hatched

What would you attribute your tortoises smooth growth to Sandy?
If I remember correctly you generally have your tortoises outside with little additional heating? Do you feel therefore that little exposure to artificial lights/heat could have been beneficial? Also a more "natural lifestyle" with regards their behaviour and ability to thermoregulate and choose their own area of humidity etc. could have a positive affect?
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #52
CherryBrandy
Adult

I think Sandy has it nailed down with a replica of the wild type environment. CB
Old 23-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #53
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
What would you attribute your tortoises smooth growth to Sandy?
If I remember correctly you generally have your tortoises outside with little additional heating? Do you feel therefore that little exposure to artificial lights/heat could have been beneficial? Also a more "natural lifestyle" with regards their behaviour and ability to thermoregulate and choose their own area of humidity etc. could have a positive affect?
Yes my tortoises are outside from around May sometimes earlier depending on the weather, until late September early October again depending on the weather. Last year was the first in a very very long time they were in early September. My heat goes off in May and back on again depending on the weather again in early October. The rest of the time they have the unheated GH for housing. They come and go as they please during the unheated time.

I do think the longer artificial heat is used is detrimental. Far better they get as much natural UV and heat. Of course this depends on where you live. I am lucky enough to live in the SE, and it does help. I think any keeper living in the south of England can easily treat their tortoises as they would in the wild. Far too many keepers worry too much about heat etc.
Tortoises themselves can tell you a lot. They wont come out if its too cold, and will come out in much lower temps than you think. My tortoises come out when temps are as low as 12c early morning., provided the sun is shinning. Other wise they wouldnt come out. I used to watch my tortoises very carefully in the early days, and use them as a weather indicator. They know when its going to drop in temps, or even if its going to rain.
By going back into the GH. And using common sense also helps:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends

Last edited by sandy; 23-05-2016 at 07:37 PM.
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #54
CherryBrandy
Adult

Commons sense is a big factor ! I remember AH going nuts when someone asked if his tortoise could eat a hard boiled egg ! (shell removed I suppose, egg not the tortoise). The rant back still lives with me. it was quite funny if you didn't cry.
I would suggest a sense of humour too helps. CB
Old 24-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #55
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Yes my tortoises are outside from around May sometimes earlier depending on the weather, until late September early October again depending on the weather. Last year was the first in a very very long time they were in early September. My heat goes off in May and back on again depending on the weather again in early October. The rest of the time they have the unheated GH for housing. They come and go as they please during the unheated time.

I do think the longer artificial heat is used is detrimental. Far better they get as much natural UV and heat. Of course this depends on where you live. I am lucky enough to live in the SE, and it does help. I think any keeper living in the south of England can easily treat their tortoises as they would in the wild. Far too many keepers worry too much about heat etc.
Tortoises themselves can tell you a lot. They wont come out if its too cold, and will come out in much lower temps than you think. My tortoises come out when temps are as low as 12c early morning., provided the sun is shinning. Other wise they wouldnt come out. I used to watch my tortoises very carefully in the early days, and use them as a weather indicator. They know when its going to drop in temps, or even if its going to rain.
By going back into the GH. And using common sense also helps:0)

Thank you Sandy - this is what I am aspiring to. Last year I only let them stay out overnight if it was warm at night. Keeping in mind they were actually sleeping inside the house of their their outdoor pen! I have definitely been one of the worriers, but the forum has really helped me and like you I spend much time watching them. This is the year for giving them their independence - under a watchful eye.
Old 25-05-2016, 12:13 AM   #56
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I've come to have very similar views to Sandy on this question but I have the disadvantage of living in a much worse weather region. In the past I've used heatlamps inside the large tall coldframes that I use for tortoises but I'm not using them at the moment because of the drying effect on the shell. There isn't much doubt that it's a factor in poor shell growth.

I'd like it though if someone could tell me how to provide direct convectional heat (like they get from the sun) without a lamp that has this drying effect. Where I live I don't believe it is possible to raise a Mediterranean tortoise from hatchling to adult without the use of electric heat for part of the year. The season is just too short here. Even allowing for long hibernations there are months on end where I need to do something to keep them going. Ideas welcome!
Old 25-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #57
vikki
Hatched

There is currently a thread on another forum about using coconut oil on the shell to combat it drying out so much - some people love it (and to be fair the guy who started it has had good results and provided alot of technical backup) a lot of people are against it so another of those where people have to make their own minds up!!!!
Old 25-05-2016, 08:38 AM   #58
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Moisturiser for tortoises Vikki! Interesting. We've always said to put nothing on the shell. I don't feel at all sure that is the right solution even if it works.
Old 25-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #59
vikki
Hatched

Hi Jonathan - in most ways I agree with you - not at all natural etc etc but then I look at the other side and think that them sitting under artificial heat sources isn't at all natural so should we then look at other ways of minimizing the damage this causes - still not sure!! Obviously the best way is to keep them in as natural conditions as possible (as Sandy does) but not always practical or possible
Old 25-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #60
JerryMaffz
Incubating

I'm also with Sandy on this one..Jerry is outside now to until it gets too cold, as he was last year, I am fortunate to live in a sheltered valley in the South East. His growth seems OK so far. Would never use coconut oil on him, two wrongs don't make a right.

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote