Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 26-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
pepper2924
Egg

Default Urgent!-Help with toilet habits

Our little year old tortuga- his name, has recently changed from all hemp which he was fine with to a little hemp in his bedding area and mostly ProRep Tortoise Life substrate. However since this change we have noticed he is not pooping as much that we have been able to see, we have been giving him daily baths, and he is eating and drinking normally but there is no poop persay, when we dry him there is small amounts of poop near his bottom, just wondering if its getting to winter or if its to do with the substrate ect. Could he be eating it any advice?
pepper2924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Sorry I've not used either of these products. Mostly I think they eat the substrate when there is nothing better available.
Old 26-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper2924 View Post
Our little year old tortuga- his name, has recently changed from all hemp which he was fine with to a little hemp in his bedding area and mostly ProRep Tortoise Life substrate. However since this change we have noticed he is not pooping as much that we have been able to see, we have been giving him daily baths, and he is eating and drinking normally but there is no poop persay, when we dry him there is small amounts of poop near his bottom, just wondering if its getting to winter or if its to do with the substrate ect. Could he be eating it any advice?

What species of tortoise please?
What temps are you using?
How big is your tortoise?
These are not the substrates I would use with tortoises, I prefer the natural substrate of soil.
The two above can easily be eaten, to what end I am not sure. Although hemp has been known to damage tortoises. Being taken in through the clocoa (sp) and damaging eyes.
Is there any swelling around the tail?

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
pepper2924
Egg

Hello our tortoise is a horsefield tortoise, the temps are usually around 30/31 under his basking light and 26 at his cooler end.
The prorep is a soil substrate?
Our tortoise is 1 year old , about 3 inches, and about 4 ounces, he has fresh mixed leaves and fresh weeds every day he gets varied diet sometimes he may have some butternut squash or carrot. He has suppliment powder 3 times a week, 3 baths a week. He is a year old. There isn any swelling around the tail. He has always been fine with just hemp only just started when we moved to the prorep tortoise life soily substrate.
Old 27-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

I always used pro rep or tortoise life with all my torts hatchlings and adults and never had any problems, don't forget though that like all soil based substrates it must be sprayed daily and even watered over night, the top will dry but you need some moisture underneath. I prefered it to top soil as it was always consistantly good where as I used to find all sorts of unwanted objects in top soil plus it was often far to wet to use straight from the bag, I did however use the soil from molehills collected in the summer, the moles do a brilliant job at breaking it down and removing rubbish.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper2924 View Post
Hello our tortoise is a horsefield tortoise, the temps are usually around 30/31 under his basking light and 26 at his cooler end.
The prorep is a soil substrate?
Our tortoise is 1 year old , about 3 inches, and about 4 ounces, he has fresh mixed leaves and fresh weeds every day he gets varied diet sometimes he may have some butternut squash or carrot. He has suppliment powder 3 times a week, 3 baths a week. He is a year old. There isn any swelling around the tail. He has always been fine with just hemp only just started when we moved to the prorep tortoise life soily substrate.
Sounds as though you are doing things right.
It could be just the change of substrate, just like us tortoises don't like change. But if its for the better, you just have to hold out.
And as Ann has said, a certain amount of moisture is needed (not wet) to help keep your tortoise hydrated, and keep up the bathing:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
pepper2924
Egg

Thanks for the replies, we did not know about spraying the soil, however he is in a vivarium, however it has 3 vents and it is wood on 3 sides with a high wood plinth on the front with glass doors. we got it with the intention of changing to a tortoise table eventually but did not know which was the best, and as he was only very small when we got him, we went with the advice we received at the time and had him in a vivarium.
He did not really eat much yesterday or today so far (currently noon) we are used to him coming out and eating every day around this time and sitting near his basking lamp.
Thanks for any help.
We bathed him yesterday and he had a drink.