Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 02-07-2015, 11:47 PM   #1
carryonsue
Egg

Default climbing horsfield

Hi
Lately pebbles my horsfield seems to have an fad for climbing over everything and seems to have no fear, she gets herself upright in her tort table hooking her claws over the edge to climb out but she can`t as I have chicken wire on top as i have a cat so thats to keep her out and tort in lol, she goes outside during the day in her outside enclosure but again tries all ways to climb out, I do let her roam round the garden as she loves to walk around but I always watch her as we have quite a long garden,Is there any reason for her climbing or is it normal behaviour or is she bored, Thanks Susan and Pebbles
carryonsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:11 AM   #2
pagan queen
Adult

I find if they are climbing to escape it's because they are looking for food. When mine are well fed they don't climb. Do you restrict food or feed as much as she wants?
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

be carefull the tort doesn't get its claws caught in the wire, the ideal depth for a table is one that is to deep for them to touch the top, if they can reach it they will eventually climb out. Claws that get caught can be ripped out needing an urgent trip to a vet and a tort that can reach the top can fall backwards and possibly get stuck on its back, if that happens under the heat source it can be fatal.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryonsue View Post
Hi
Lately pebbles my horsfield seems to have an fad for climbing over everything and seems to have no fear, she gets herself upright in her tort table hooking her claws over the edge to climb out but she can`t as I have chicken wire on top as i have a cat so thats to keep her out and tort in lol, she goes outside during the day in her outside enclosure but again tries all ways to climb out, I do let her roam round the garden as she loves to walk around but I always watch her as we have quite a long garden,Is there any reason for her climbing or is it normal behaviour or is she bored, Thanks Susan and Pebbles

This is what tortoises do:0)
Are you sure your tortoise is female?
If so has she been with a male?
How big is your tortoise?
What temps are you using?
All this needs to be answered before we can really help you.
Gravid females will knock everything out of their way, and constantly roaming.
If they are too hot, they will do the same to find somewhere cooler.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryonsue View Post
Hi
Yesterday my horsfield Horace excaped into the cow field. There were 7 cows in the back. I could not find him anywhere. I looked and looked..................................
Horace has a good home with me but he always wants to bugger off
Lets see how he gets on out there
Horace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
yuna1971
Adult

Oh Chris hope you find the "little sod"!! I would make attempts to find him if you can though as there could be night predators about. Hope you get Horace back soon! xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #7
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
Oh Chris hope you find the "little sod"!! I would make attempts to find him if you can though as there could be night predators about. Hope you get Horace back soon! xx
You are a lovely lady Rach. We have not talked for years. But you give me good advice about looking after Horace in 2009 and you were just lovely and Right.
I had Horace in 2009, he was 1 year only the size of a 50 pence peice. Now he is over 6 inches. His shell is lovely, I am pround of that. He is a "Big Male"
But no sign of him this afternoon
I can't do any more
You be well and Safe Rach
Horace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace2 View Post
You are a lovely lady Rach. We have not talked for years. But you give me good advice about looking after Horace in 2009 and you were just lovely and Right.
I had Horace in 2009, he was 1 year only the size of a 50 pence peice. Now he is over 6 inches. His shell is lovely, I am pround of that. He is a "Big Male"
But no sign of him this afternoon
I can't do any more
You be well and Safe Rach
oh my goodness this is awful, Horace will come back to his house though ? maybe place it outside and he will find his way back?

They are madcap Horsfields. usual behaviour I know. My older ones don't so much bother now but some of them, will look for the gaps or when I come into enclosure try the gaate. My 8 girlies are all mad. my boys are crazy but I love them all. different characters. Hope Horace is ok, CB
Old 06-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #9
carryonsue
Egg

Hi Everyone,
I do not restrict pebbles food she has food whenever she wants,she never seems to eat loads anyway, I will need to get a new tort table soon as she was not able to reach the top before but now she can,she is my only tort I had her since march last year she was 2 years old then she weighs 400g /14 oz she is 5 inches long her temps are 31/32 is that too hot? i will post a picture of pebbles for you to check her but forgot how to post LOL thanks Susan and pebbles.
carryonsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #10
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Susan. I say it's normal behaviour and your top temps are not too hot.

Is there a way to make a temporary enclsoure in the garden?