Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 10-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick0312 View Post
http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk...ost-1625-p.asp

Is this basically the same thing as pre-alpin food selling elsewhere? I would like to get some for my tort. There are also different version of the pre-alpin products, e.g. Pre Alpin Fibre/Baby/Herbs...what's the actual difference between them, and what's best to feed baby tort?

One other thing about these dried food - do the nutrients lost during the drying process? or still retained in the plant?
It's not a million miles away from a the Pre Alpin pellet's, there are more plant varieties and grasses in the PA, also the the grass blades are shreaded down more. Some plant's change there chemical structure when dried like Red Clover flower's becomes slightly toxic when dried. This will have been taken into account i would have thought, when these plant's have been processed.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick0312 View Post
http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk...ost-1625-p.asp

Is this basically the same thing as pre-alpin food selling elsewhere? I would like to get some for my tort. There are also different version of the pre-alpin products, e.g. Pre Alpin Fibre/Baby/Herbs...what's the actual difference between them, and what's best to feed baby tort?

One other thing about these dried food - do the nutrients lost during the drying process? or still retained in the plant?
here you go this is where i get mine from ,
http://www.reptilica.co.uk/Agrobs-Pr...ortoises.phtml
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
jonesy
Hatched

Below is the nutritional analysis for the dried pre alpin for you. Any questions just ask.

Agrobs Pre Alpin Testudo Herbs for all tortoises
Tortoises are herbivores which depend on high quality food. The observation of wild tortoises as well as the
examination of their anatomy and their digestive tract reveals what a diet is appropriate for these animals.
The well-developed appendix enables tortoises to extract a sufficient amount of nutrients from grasses and
herbs which are rich in crude fibre and, at the same time, have an extremely low protein content.
Extensively used meadows which are usually strongly fertilised are to rich for tortoises and may cause a multitude of diseases.
The food available for tortoises in their natural habitat resembles the plant variety of meagre Upper Bavarian meadows with a high degree of diversity.
Provided that their diet is natural and rich in herbs and that they are well kept tortoises may become very old.

PRE ALPIN® Testudo Herbs and PRE ALPIN® Testudo Fibre provide an appropriate food for these animals which is adjusted to their digestive apparatus.

PRE ALPIN® Testudo Herbs and Testudo Fibre are therefore a valuable main component of the daily rations. The combination of fresh plants
from meagre meadows on which over 60 different grass and herb species grow offers a rich and balanced diet for the animals.

The Plants Contained in PRE ALPIN® Testudo HERBS:

Cocksfoot, amaranth, meadow fescue, dandelion, false oat grass, Yorkshire fog, Lady s mantle, English plantain, bush vetch,
cat s tail, crested dogs s tail, perennial ryegrass, Alpine meadow grass, clover, common yarrow, Lady s bedstraw, meadow fescue and many others

The Components of PRE ALPIN® Testudo HERBS:
• Dry substance 92.0 %
• Phosphorus 0.27 %
• Crude fibre 27.8 %
• Iron 605 mg/kg
• Crude protein 7.9 %
• Manganese 68 mg/kg
• Crude ashes 6.7 %
• Carotene 45.1 mg/kg
• Crude fat 2.2 %
• Zinc 25 mg/kg
• Calcium 0.58 %
• Copper 4.7 mg/kg

These indications are average values ? minor variances are possible in natural products.

PRE ALPIN® Testudo Fibre
Tortoises are herbivores which depend on high quality food. The observation of wild tortoises as well as the examination of their
anatomy and their digestive tract reveals what a diet is appropriate for these animals.
The well-developed appendix enables tortoises to extract a sufficient amount of nutrients from grasses and herbs which are rich in crude
fibre and, at the same time, have an extremely low protein content. Extensively used meadows which are usually strongly fertilised are to
rich for tortoises and may cause a multitude of diseases. The food available for tortoises in their natural habitat resembles the plant variety of meagre
Upper Bavarian meadows with a high degree of diversity.

Provided that their diet is natural and rich in herbs and that they are well kept tortoises may become very old.

PRE ALPIN® Testudo Herbs and PRE ALPIN® Testudo Fibre provide an appropriate food for these animals which is adjusted to their digestive apparatus.

PRE ALPIN® Testudo Herbs and Testudo Fibre are therefore a valuable main component of the daily rations. The combination of fresh
plants from meagre meadows on which over 60 different grass and herb species grow offers a rich and balanced diet for the animals.

The Plants Contained in PRE ALPIN® Testudo FIBRE:

Cocksfoot, amaranth, meadow fescue, dandelion, false oat grass, Yorkshire fog, Lady?s mantle, English plantain, bush vetch, cat s tail, crested dog s tail,
perennial ryegrass, Alpine meadow grass, clover, common yarrow, Lady s bedstraw, meadow fescue and many others, linseed oil

The Components of PRE ALPIN® Testudo FIBRE:
• Dry substance 92.0 %
• Phosphorus 0.26 %
• Crude fibre 26.8 %
• Iron 570 mg/kg
• Crude protein 7.6 %
• Manganese 81 mg/kg
• Crude ashes 7.3 %
• Carotene 51 mg/kg
• Crude fat 2.4 %
• Zinc 31 mg/kg
• Calcium 0.58 %
• Copper 4.7 mg/kg

These indications are average values ? minor variances are possible in natural products.

Agrobs PRE ALPIN Testudo Baby for all juvenile tortoises (with a weight of up to 200g)
The diet of wild tortoises is always determined by the vegetation in their natural habitat.
In their original environment the actual vegetation period is usually limited to a short time followed by dryness and heat from midsummer to fall.
The crude fibre content of the plants is relatively low and the protein content quite high during springtime.
• During summer herbs and grasses will age. The crude fibre content therefore increases in midsummer while the protein content strongly decreases.
• To meet the requirements of the organism the diet of pet tortoises should also be adjusted to the respective season.
The nutritional requirements of baby tortoises resemble those of fully grown tortoises. They primarily need herbs and grasses from meagre meadows with a high plant diversity.
Even though this seems harsh a restrained diet scanty to human standards is recommendable.

This is the only way to ensure an appropriate slow growth and to avoid consequential health problems.

PRE ALPIN® Testudo Baby is a particularly fine food adjusted to the needs of young tortoises.
The components are leaves and seeds rich in vital substances from meagre Upper Bavarian meadows with a high degree of diversity.

Due to the fine composition and the extra short fibre length even juvenile animals of a weight of up to 200 g can be supplied with a sufficient amount of crude fibre and vital substances.

The Components of PRE ALPIN® Testudo BABY:
• Dry substance 92.0 %
• Phosphorus 0.3 %
• Crude fibre 26.4 %
• Iron 516 mg/kg
• Crude protein 9.6 %
• Manganese 52 mg/kg
• Crude ashes 7.4 %
• Zinc 34 mg/kg
• Crude fat 2.5 %
• Carotene 15.2 mg/kg
• Calcium 0.6 %
• Copper 3.6 mg/kg

http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
http://www.hedgehoglady.co.uk
http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk Holiday home
jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:14 AM   #14
kkenny
Sub Adult

My tin arrived today! Cute tin too. I am going to introduce it today as I have heard it may take a while to get used to if your tort doesnt like it at first.

Thanks everyone - and Jonesy

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #15
Geomyda
Adult

It would be good te see how people offer this to their Tortoises, I have heard from quite a few people who are trying without success to establish this as part of the regular diet.
What tips, if any are there in presentation and what is the feedback from Tortoise hobbyists who are using it?
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #16
Pussygalore
Adult

none of mine would touch it to the extent that they wouldn't eat anything, I can't afford to 'push' it with my laying female and Bolder my sully is only just gaining weight, maybe at the end of the season or when he gets a bit more interested in his food. Either way I'd advise buying the smallest amount or getting a sample first, when the new hatchlings arrive I might try them as they won't have tasted anything else.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #17
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
none of mine would touch it to the extent that they wouldn't eat anything, I can't afford to 'push' it with my laying female and Bolder my sully is only just gaining weight, maybe at the end of the season or when he gets a bit more interested in his food. Either way I'd advise buying the smallest amount or getting a sample first, when the new hatchlings arrive I might try them as they won't have tasted anything else.
Hmm I was thinking that, Marley was 7 months when I got mine and he ate it from day 1, so maybe a young tortoise is more accepting.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

It could be the grass species in the formula, eight is mentioned in the quick rundown ingredient's if you have had a med tort for a while never been fed chopped grasses, this would take time to introduce to some, picky eater's a while maybe.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #19
kkenny
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Sayles View Post
Hmm I was thinking that, Marley was 7 months when I got mine and he ate it from day 1, so maybe a young tortoise is more accepting.
Might be some truth in this then and I gave it today for the first time and he loved it! Yippy!!! George is 2yrs.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #20
jonesy
Hatched

I have sold quite a lot of the smaller 220g amounts, which I recommend if you have not used it before.

From the feedback I am getting back - some are gathering their usual foods, washing them, sprinkling the dried pre alpin on the food and then the usual calcium carbonate. Others are rehydrating the pre alpin and sprinkling that on the gathered washed usual food.

It seems that once they get the taste they then readily accept and like it. Once they really get used to it they then tuck into it on it's own.

Personally I am offering it every few days just to get more fibre into their diet. My large leopard is now just eating it on it's own, with calcium,which is great.
Hope this helps.
http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
http://www.hedgehoglady.co.uk
http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk Holiday home
jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote