Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 15-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
pagan queen
Adult

Default Honest opinions on nose piercing

My eldest daughter is having her nose pierced. She is 24 so I have no say in what she does any more. I did however give her my opinion.

I think it is looks cheap and common. You don't see decent people with nose piercings, the sort of people who have rings through their nose are usually on Jeremy Kyle. She already has a flesh tunnel in her ear which I think id vile.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, just my fusty old opinion.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
wigwamman
Juvenile

i share your fusty old opinion,tatoos and piercings don't belong on a "nice" girl!!
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Merlin M
Adult

With tattoos I think it depends on what and where, and personally I would not get a facial piercing (can affect you getting some jobs) but I do have a few in my ears (can be hidden so see no harm) I quite like the look of flesh holes as long as they are not too big, but would never get one myself...
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

They are ok for going out but not for the work place or interviews etc and as for tatoos again as long as they can be hidden with clothing its up to the individual. I wouldn't have them as I don't like pain I nearly fainted when I had my ears normally peiced. If she's not prepared to remove it for work etc then she may have problems, its hard enough getting and keeping a job without giving the 'boss' a possible reason. My daughter is getting married again next year and she's in her late 30's she has a lovely dress but it hasn't any sleeves and she has a tattoo on her shoulder, personally I think it really spoils the effect but didn't like to say so, I hopes she wears a shawl or similar
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
kreacher
Sub Adult

Your old fashioned opinion is unfortunately way off the mark these days...I am the stereo typical gothis looking nightmare to people like you, I have tattoos everywhere (an I mean everywhere!) and also piercings, including nose so would think I would be on the Jeremy Kyle show! However in reality I have a very highly paid job in the RSPCA rescuing exotics and fostering exotic animals from all over the contry! I have two children who are fantastically well behaved and my daughter is a prefect in school, I'm also a member of the PTA at my daughters comprehensive school and at my sons primary school...my husband also is very 'alternative' looking with piercings and dreadlocks however he is a transport manager for a haulage company and does loads of volunteer work with elderly in our local village who all love him to bits!
We're both very well respected in our local communities and wether I have a ring through my nose or a tattoo on my wrist does not make an atom of difference to that!!...I teach my children never to judge a book by its cover and have the ultimate respect for anyone regardless of appearance, if the older generations were taught this also then there would not be this prejudice to people who look alternative...I know people in my community who wear a blouse and a nice knee length skirt who are on benefits and spend all day smoking outside their houses watching people going to work!
Nobody has any right to judge any one else on appearance, it's a matter of respect!
kreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
TillyTortoise
Adult

Can't see what the attraction is.. i'm with you Wendy, I think piercings and tattoos are tacky.
Old 15-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreacher View Post
Your old fashioned opinion is unfortunately way off the mark these days...I am the stereo typical gothis looking nightmare to people like you, I have tattoos everywhere (an I mean everywhere!) and also piercings, including nose so would think I would be on the Jeremy Kyle show! However in reality I have a very highly paid job in the RSPCA rescuing exotics and fostering exotic animals from all over the contry! I have two children who are fantastically well behaved and my daughter is a prefect in school, I'm also a member of the PTA at my daughters comprehensive school and at my sons primary school...my husband also is very 'alternative' looking with piercings and dreadlocks however he is a transport manager for a haulage company and does loads of volunteer work with elderly in our local village who all love him to bits!
We're both very well respected in our local communities and wether I have a ring through my nose or a tattoo on my wrist does not make an atom of difference to that!!...I teach my children never to judge a book by its cover and have the ultimate respect for anyone regardless of appearance, if the older generations were taught this also then there would not be this prejudice to people who look alternative...I know people in my community who wear a blouse and a nice knee length skirt who are on benefits and spend all day smoking outside their houses watching people going to work!
Nobody has any right to judge any one else on appearance, it's a matter of respect!
I really agree, people should be able to dress and "decorate" (just as a simple way if putting it) as they wish!!

I am also getting married next year and my dress will show my tattoo, part of why I like it, I like to show off my small amount of ink when I celebrate! Or just when I feel like it! I have a birth mark, that is a hell of a lot more unsightly than my tattoo and will also be on show, but its all part of who I am!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Fred123
Hatched

I agree, it is not a good luck. That said it all depends on the life style and profession of the individual. Certain "professions" would not blink at facial piercings, but the majority would and I think that is a good reflection of society.
I hate those ear stretch things, what on earth will their ears look like when they are older?
I think that a tattoo that can be easily covered by every day clothing is not a problem, but every where is intimidating to some. I saw a man the other day with a forehead tattoo. it may make me old fashioned in some peoples eyes, but I simply dont understand that and do not find it acceptable. I would certainly be put off employing him.
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Vortex566
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to Vortex566

I have 19 tattoos, but would never have something percied. You are right about how it can effect jobs chances. I have to keep my tattoos covered where I work. I don't have a problem with this, as I think it can lead to a negtive impression.
Vortex566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
pagan queen
Adult

Thank you for the opinions so far. I agree people should dress how they want but I personally find it distasteful. If I was walking down the road and a group of girls walked toward me with piercings I would feel uncomfortable maybe even frightened. I know they aren't always bad people but you can't tell until you know someone. So first impressions count. Tattoos in a discreet place are fine, they don't show. I saw a lady yesterday with tattoos all over her arms and chest and quite honestly I couldn't tell you what she looked like as I couldn't get past the tattoos. She was just a walking painting that made me feel uncomfortable.

Fortunately my daughter has a well paid job as a member of the management team in Sainsbury. I know my daughter is a "nice" girl but other people don't and if I saw someone working on the shop floor with a nose ring I would be less likely to ask them for help that someone without.

Again sorry if I have offended anyone.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote