Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 07-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Default Been offered two horsefields

Hi everyone,

I've been looking to get a tortoise for about 18 months and have done a lot of research and not rushed into it. I've been offered two 3 yr old Horsefield tortoises. The owner doesn't want them anymore. She says they were treated very badly by her brother, but have made good progress since she took them about a year ago. Having said that, she has been feeding them greens, along with boiled egg and chicken!! Now, I've done enough research to know that boiled egg and chicken shouldn't be given to Horsefields due to the high amount of protein. I plan to feed my tortoises (when I get them) weeds from my garden.

She says they have very slight pyramiding, but are "growing out of it". They are, apparently, in good health otherwise. I've kinda already made up my mind that I know much more about tortoises than she does (although she is clearly trying her best, albeit still misguided) and they would be better off with me. What does everything think?

Cheers,

Peter
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
ibizathetort
Adult

Sounds like a plan to me, good on you for doing your research, and if you need any more help this is the place to ask
ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Go for it! You've obviously been doing your homework. You want a tortoise. She has two she doesn't want. Seems like a no brainer to me. A quick vet check and a new diet and they'll much happier.

I always think it's more rewarding taking on a rehomer too. Mine came from a breeder but my next will defo be a rescue when i'm ready for one x
Old 07-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Wink

I would go for it. But I would definitely get a full vet check done as I would want to know what I was up against incase there were any longterm problems because of their previous diet and setup..

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
TortBabe
Adult

Go for it! Horsfields are lovely
Old 07-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
WriterNick
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to WriterNick

Well done Petrus, you sound like just the lucky break that these torts have been waiting for! Go for it, i love my horsfield and I'm sure that those two will do much better with you to look after them!
WriterNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Thanks everyone. I'm hopefully picking up the wee guys on Saturday (weather permitting - deep snow and icy conditions here in Bonnie Scotland).

I was wondering about the claim that they can "grow out of slight pyramiding". Is this possible?

Peter
Old 07-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

I think the wee guys are coming to live with me on Saturday. They can join the two Guinea Pigs and fish in house of madness!

Just one quick question, the owner told me that they are "growing out" of the pyramiding. Is this possible?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
suttysue
Sub Adult

Thumbs up Go for it

Seems to me you have already made your mind up to get the torts. Good for you, sounds like a rescue plan to me. They obviously need some TLC and you seem to know whats best for them. If you need any help just post a thread on here there are plenty of folk able to give good sound advice.
Well done
sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
jayne2942
Hatchling

How lovely,i have three horsefields , two females and one male all with different characters, i have just recently rehomed the one female horsefield she was a poorly tort but now with lots of TLC she's doing great,if you need any help dont hesitate to ask.
Jayne
pond fish
4 baby horsfield hatchlings
jayne2942 is offline   Reply With Quote