Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 22-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
I think good and valid points Sandy and I agree with most of your sentiments, not sure about dogs seeing them as chews, some dogs might I suppose. My dogs don't have chews, being qualified, with two dogs that can spell disaster, just carrot sticks, but that is another thread.

People should know torts and animals ordinarily don't mix, neither cats and dogs, snakes and rabbits, grannies and tarantulas.

I am sure there are horror stories out there as there always is.
My other dog is non plussed. My other torts not interested.

Fact still remains they are pals in the sense they seek each other out.

CB
Which is lovely CB and there are plenty of stories of unlikely friendships and i think thats brilliant so dont change a thing.

my dog is also extremely well behaved around all my other animals, I ofcourse wouldn't leave them all out alone together, there is good and bad in all animals, I think as long as we are vigilant we can all live in one big happy family x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #12
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
Which is lovely CB and there are plenty of stories of unlikely friendships and i think thats brilliant so dont change a thing.

my dog is also extremely well behaved around all my other animals, I ofcourse wouldn't leave them all out alone together, there is good and bad in all animals, I think as long as we are vigilant we can all live in one big happy family x
thanks Bev, couldn't put it better. I respect all the views on here because we all have opinions. Yes I agree that torts and dogs don't mix but some do co-exist and that is the reality.

it is about the right safeguards in place also. My lab is a pedigree soft jaw gun dog (other dogs are available), and I trust her over my nieces and nephews when it comes to torts. I could tell you some stories...hamsters and taps, cat tails and cellotape.

Good job I didn't post my guinea pigs and dog pickies it would give people a fit ! She cant help being loved by all, CB
Old 22-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #13
yuna1971
Adult

I'm sort of with Sandy on this one but I think as long as you have both dog and tort(s) within your eyesight and the dog has always been trustworthy then it might be ok.
Lily used to chase my ex's dog (I was in the room mind)...and the dog (a westie) was frightened of him. He also chased my mums cat about and the cat would get out the way. I suppose sometimes they can't figure out what a tortoise is. It depends on their nature I guess. At the end of the day, it's up to you Cher. I'm sure in the wild they come across big hairy animals. But that's there...not in our houses. At then end of the day, I'm sure you know your pets well enough to make the right call. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #14
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes I agree Rach. I think to an extent it also depends on your background, training and understanding of animals which comes with sensible precautions.
Would I ever buy two female dogs? I am sure there are many people out there that have two beautiful female dogs, but what is the worst combination for a dog pairing? Would I then have two female dogs in the garden with a tortoise.....No. probability, possibility and impact. CB
Old 22-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #15
vikki
Hatched

I think every animal is as individual as every human being and needs to be treated and respected as such. I have 2 spaniels who are related but have completely different personalities. Jock doesn't take the slightest bit of notice of the tortoises and seems oblivious to them to the point where the worst he would probably do is sit on them without realising they were there Ollie on the other hand I wouldn't really trust - if I am around he is well enough trained to know that "leave it" means not to even look at it but I know he really would like to investigate more thoroughly I would never leave them alone unsupervised but as said before this should be a bit of a rule with a lot of things - it always amazes me that people let kids climb all over dogs and pull them about then wonder why the dog eventually snaps even though the dog has been giving out countless signals of not being happy which have been missed or ignored. I have had various combinations of different sexes of dogs and again it depends on the individuals - however would agree that if two bitches start to fight then it is generally serious but then the same could perhaps be said for tortoises - some will get on and some will not
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #16
Jan W
Sub Adult

All comments and advice very helpful as usual. Very sad if tort owners do not realise the potential dangers from other animals/predators/people. I certainly recognised this is an exceptional relationship.

The photograph warmed my heart - a very special dog and tortoise.
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #17
Pussygalore
Adult

we used to have two jack russels and while I would have trusted the female with anything I'd never have left the male alone with either children or other pets, the terrier instinct was very strong in him. Milo our little Chihuahua/papilon has a very gentle nature and would probably be ok with anything furry or scaly, lick it to death or want to take it to bed with him.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote