Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 12-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #11
kandiekisses
Egg

Default pictures of set up

This is my 1st attempt at posting pictures so forgive me if it doesnt turn out, just wanted you to see if you think its ok or could be improved on.....thanks

kandiekisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #12
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Sandra,

The only thing that I could see you need to do is deepen the amount of soil you have there, horsefields are ferrocious diggers, and love making tunnels.

The soil does look very dry too. Do you mist if with a spray gun at all? Horsefields can tollerate warm damp soil but not cold damp soil.

You could also plant some greenery in there to for breaking lines of sight to make it a bit more interesting too.

This is my table.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #13
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Sandra your set-up isn't bad, but
How long are your lights on for?
Is the florscent bulb a UVB bulb?
Your basking spot could be a bit higher temperature wise, 32C. I would go with a hanging lamp with a reflector and ceramic socket for the basking spot.
If your florscent bulb is a UVB you could go with a regular light bulb. If it isn't UVB, it'd get a combo heat and UV bulb for the basking spot.

Danny
Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #14
kandiekisses
Egg

Hi Danny,
Yes its a flourescent repti glow uvb 30" and the basking lamp is a 60 watt reflector bulb. I do spray the substrate twice a week, is that enough?

I usually put the light and bulb on about 8am in a morning until about 7pm evening.

I bathed them again today and put their food out but neither of them have eaten they just basked for a while then went into the corner and slept.

I measured my substrate and its 5 inches deep i was afraid to put too much in in case they got too near to the uvb light.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #15
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Sandra,

5" / 12.5cm / 125mm should be ok for small tortoises, you could do it deeper if you want.

I would spray the enclosure everyday with water, it will keep the dust down and make the soil stick together better for burrowing.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Old 13-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #16
hbvet
Hatched

Hi sandra - not received your messages at work so sorry. If you want me to call you on monday from work just pm me a contact number. I'm afraid we are a really busy practice and my message list is about 4 a4 pages every day: hard to get through so sorry! I promise to call you tomorrow if you send me a number.

Hannah
Old 13-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #17
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for contacting Sandra very much appreciated. I am sure she will pm you.

Ade

Old 13-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #18
kandiekisses
Egg

Default replied

Hi Hannah,
Nice to meet you, yes your practise sounded very busy when i rang. I hav sent you a pm and thank you so much for replying to me.
Sandra
Old 13-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #19
kandiekisses
Egg

Default should i change subsrate?

Just wondering if i should change the sand and soil back to the hemp which they originally had in the viv. Do you this this would make them happier as i have read on here that torts dont like change. I have bathed them today and they woke and became very lively, put their food down but the just walked away and went back to sleep. I also weighed them both but they have only lost 4gms since i first had them in August. I am trying my best to keep them awake but all they want to do is sleep..........oh to be a tortoise, what a lazy life haha!
Old 13-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #20
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Try putting some hemp on top of your substrate Sandra in half of the table. That could make them feel more at home.

Danny